News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Susan Boyle

Started by Caliga, April 17, 2009, 07:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the Susan Boyle video?

She's amazing
8 (18.6%)
She's good but it's the "packaging" that moved people
19 (44.2%)
She's not good, it's the story that moved people
1 (2.3%)
She's too ugly for me to be able to appreciate her
3 (7%)
Susan who?
12 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Josquius

Its not just her looks. She talks daft too.
I've seen this before but didn't know it was such a big deal.
██████
██████
██████

vinraith

I think it's fascinating this is such a phenomenon. The woman is talented, don't get me wrong, and easily has a voice of sufficient caliber that she could readily have a professional career (singing or, with a bit of speech coaching, possibly musical stage). But that's just it, she's a professional-caliber talent. That's not nothing, but it's not anything messianic either. But because she's on one of these shows, and because she's unattractive, it's considered miraculous that she has a voice of professional caliber.

It's telling, as far as I'm concerned, about the whole "reality singing competition" genre. This is the best you can ever hope for, the most miraculous thing that can possibly come out of this sort of show: someone with a talent equal to all those people that already make a living singing.

Phillip V

Good, but hard to judge professionally since it was a live performance. She may be on par with great singers in the recording studio. Her "packaging" definitely makes her wonderful, however.

Phillip V

Quote from: BVN on April 17, 2009, 08:08:58 AM
The show has had several exceptional and unexpected talents in the past years. The opera-singing cellphone salesman comes to mind.

Apparently Britain does have some talent left...  :bowler:
Meh. That guy's voice is too whiny; in a bleh area between the more masculine voices of Bocelli or Groban and the angelic softness of Vittorio Grigolo.

jimmy olsen

This guy's pretty good, not as good as Boyle, but far weirder! :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ZjOEk4-dI
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Korea

Quote from: Viking on April 17, 2009, 08:35:51 AM
Good voice yes, but I think she got through on the looks.. had she been pretty then she'd be just another pop-bimbette. Given that she looks like a tall female hobbit she mere exploits (unintentionally of course) the prejudice against ugly people and the shame people feel at being prejudiced.

She's also a retard.
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

I think she has a great voice.
I want my mother fucking points!

MadImmortalMan

I liked Paul Potts better. Amanda looked like she was having an orgasm when he started to sing.

Edit:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA&feature=related
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 16, 2009, 08:26:54 PM
I liked Paul Potts better.
Yeah, the Killing Fields was a great album.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on May 16, 2009, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 16, 2009, 08:26:54 PM
I liked Paul Potts better.
Yeah, the Killing Fields was a great album.
:lol: You're on fire.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point