News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ebook reader

Started by Vricklund, November 14, 2012, 04:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Got Kobo Glo over Late Christmas. Seems nice enough. Touch screen is more responsive then the Sony Ereader I tried a couple of years ago.

Kobo Desktop is a piece of shit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Vricklund

Still no changes in price over here. The cheapest alternative I've found is a nook simple touch on ebay for $140 including shipping. :(

The nook seems like a good choice for me as it's basicly an easily rooted android pad with e-ink. If only it had a 768x1024 screen I'd buy it despite the $90 discrepancy.

As it is now I guess I'll have to buy some paperbacks and forget about it for a while.

mongers

Quote from: Vricklund on January 30, 2013, 04:27:43 PM
Still no changes in price over here. The cheapest alternative I've found is a nook simple touch on ebay for $140 including shipping. :(

The nook seems like a good choice for me as it's basicly an easily rooted android pad with e-ink. If only it had a 768x1024 screen I'd buy it despite the $90 discrepancy.

As it is now I guess I'll have to buy some paperbacks and forget about it for a while.

Yeah I still haven't gotten around to buying finding a useable budget one.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

I got a Barnes & Noble's Nook reader about two years ago, the simplest one, black and white. Just wanted it for books. I really like it. I held off buying one since I figured I didn't need such a device. But I caved in because of the convenience of having many books in one place on a portable device, and I like the ability to buy and download books from home.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 31, 2013, 09:06:25 AM
I got a Barnes & Noble's Nook reader about two years ago, the simplest one, black and white. Just wanted it for books. I really like it. I held off buying one since I figured I didn't need such a device. But I caved in because of the convenience of having many books in one place on a portable device, and I like the ability to buy and download books from home.

Yeah, I really need to sit down for half an hour and decide what I want, chose a model and go and buy it. Can't be that difficult.  :)

edit:
Thinking about it, what is stopping me, is knowing I'll end up with yet another thing to look after, sync with the computer and no doubt another application or two to stick on the computer. 

Basically for me to buy one, it has to be an entirely seamless experience from start to finish (end user experience).  :D

KRonn

I've found the Nook to be pretty seamless, easy to use, and I also get a bit antsy having to maintain another device. The computer recognizes it fine when I plug it in, and downloading a new book is easy. One thing though, downloads aren't labeled the name of the book, instead they have a numbering system, but the date/time stamp lets you know which one you just downloaded. Plus you can always put it in a custom named folder.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 31, 2013, 02:15:34 PM
I've found the Nook to be pretty seamless, easy to use, and I also get a bit antsy having to maintain another device. The computer recognizes it fine when I plug it in, and downloading a new book is easy. One thing though, downloads aren't labeled the name of the book, instead they have a numbering system, but the date/time stamp lets you know which one you just downloaded. Plus you can always put it in a custom named folder.

Thanks for that.  :)

Vricklund

Damn, Barnes&Noble have been selling their nook simple touch in the uk for £29 since the beginning of may but I missed out. There's plenty of readers selling at £10 markup on ebay and the nook with glowlight is still available in stores at £69 but I'm undecided...

Vricklund

There's still a couple of readers available over at John Lewis but for reasons unknown they don't ship electronics internationally. :mad:

Anyone in the UK willing to buy and ship one on my behalf?

mongers

Quote from: Vricklund on May 21, 2013, 03:25:41 PM
There's still a couple of readers available over at John Lewis but for reasons unknown they don't ship electronics internationally. :mad:

Anyone in the UK willing to buy and ship one on my behalf?

I would have, if I'd seen this earlier, but now out of stock.  :(

Also out of stock where I got one for my old dear, at nook uk, can't find it anywhere else in uk.  You might have to go the ebay route.

Vricklund

:cry:

Sigh, I guess there will be other chances. :)

Vricklund

It's back in stock at John Lewis but I picked one up on ebay yesterday for £32+£6 shipping. :yeah:

mongers

Quote from: Vricklund on May 29, 2013, 01:52:12 PM
It's back in stock at John Lewis but I picked one up on ebay yesterday for £32+£6 shipping. :yeah:

Weirdly still in stock, but I guess as soon as some posts the link on a moneysaving website they'll go.

Vricklund

I've been trying out my nook for a week now and I really like it. I think it'll get a lot of use during the upcoming vacation and will be £38 well spent. I'll probably never use the shop, the social apps or any of that crap but the essential part, the ebook reader part, is very good - crisp screen, fast page refreshs, good ergonomics.

Haven't rooted it yet though. I figured it would be the first thing I did but I think I'll go the DRM-stripping way with Calibre or something similar instead to get the behaviour I would expect from a regular book. At the moment I'm content with what the stock nook provides.

I've loaded it with some P.G. Wodehouse and other free classics from Gutenberg just to get a feel and I've been reading the Count of Montecristo - with it's archaic english it's nice to have the built in dictionary.

Josquius

They really are getting cheap now.  Think I:ll get a replacement for my departed regular kindle (despite what some say fires are not suitable readers)
██████
██████
██████