News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ebook reader

Started by Vricklund, November 14, 2012, 04:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 26, 2012, 08:01:38 PM
You guys have any opinions on the kobos?

The Kobo Glo is quite nice.  Basically the equivalent of the Paperwhite.  There is no price advantage though.  But a good choice if for whatever reason you want to avoid the Amazon or B&N ecosystems.

I happen to like the Amazon ecosystem and the company (as a consumer).  Very convenient and easy to use.  And personally I have found their support to be excellent.  I accidentally broke a screen on one of my older Kindles.  I called support and admitted I dropped it (my fault).  They replaced it anyway free of charge and upgraded to the latest model (at the time) to boot.  That bought a lot of goodwill from me.   
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

The only thing I could find that the Kobo really has going for it - is that it is supposedly a favorite in Canada.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I heard the same thing but that probably speak more to Amazon offering nothing in Canada. We have to buy & use the US version. Not even sure if we can buy most books.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 27, 2012, 07:11:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 26, 2012, 08:01:38 PM
You guys have any opinions on the kobos?

The Kobo Glo is quite nice.  Basically the equivalent of the Paperwhite.  There is no price advantage though.  But a good choice if for whatever reason you want to avoid the Amazon or B&N ecosystems.

I happen to like the Amazon ecosystem and the company (as a consumer).  Very convenient and easy to use.  And personally I have found their support to be excellent.  I accidentally broke a screen on one of my older Kindles.  I called support and admitted I dropped it (my fault).  They replaced it anyway free of charge and upgraded to the latest model (at the time) to boot.  That bought a lot of goodwill from me.   

Yep.  Amazon customer service has always been awesome for me and their digital book/newspaper/magazine/music/movie ecosystem is beyond compare.  Not that there aren't better places to go individually for movies & music, but they tie all those things together really well.

My 2nd generation Kindle still gets free 3G anywhere (even got it to work in Argentina) and if we weren't already inundated with tablets I'd buy two or three more Kindle Fires for the household.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 07:27:52 PM
The only thing I could find that the Kobo really has going for it - is that it is supposedly a favorite in Canada.

I bought a couple Kobo e-readers that were on clearance at Target for $20.  Was going to give one away as a gift but the one I opened & played around with a little bit gave me all sorts of problems just getting my account set up.  Now I'm having problems getting it to sync the free books I "bought".  Not sure what I'm gonna do with either of them now :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Hmm, still haven't decided, UK library compatibility is important, so that's apple and kindle out.  Maybe the choice is down to a nook simple touch/glo or a kobo touch?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Vricklund

I would get a Nook simple touch in heatbeat if it was $50. As it is now I'm holding out for after christmas sales.

When researching the future of ebook readers there seems to have been a flurry of announcements this spring about both LG and Samsung starting massproduction of new eink screens. Since then it's been very quiet, nothing in the news what-so-ever. I wouldn't mind a cheap flexible eink screen, with or without colour...

Josquius

I have to look into getting a new one...if we're talking £50 then I'll replace my kindle
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Amazon and B&N are slashing prices today on their readers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Correction... Amazon on their tablets, B&N on their reader.

Josquius

Does anyone know of any decent, active, dual screen tablet/e-books?
I've heard amazon is developing such a thing but have not seen anything existant.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

There was one a few years ago, but it is long gone by now.

The Entourage I think it was called.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2012, 07:27:52 PM

It is.  We have one company (Chapters / Indiglo) which sells approximately half of all books in Canada.  Nobody else comes close in terms of marketshare (though Amazon.ca does a nice business).  And since Indiglo doesn't want to get sucked into either the Kindle or Nook markets which are controlled by competitors, they flog the Kobo like nobody's business.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I've been reading free classics on my Nexus 10 via Google Play.

Already finished: The Time Machine

Now reading: Robinson Crusoe

Up next: Swiss Family Robinson
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on December 20, 2012, 01:34:00 PM
I've been reading free classics on my Nexus 10 via Google Play.

Already finished: The Time Machine

Now reading: Robinson Crusoe

Up next: Swiss Family Robinson

Thanks to my cheapness gene I've also been revisiting so many of the (free) classics :)