UK student facing trial for spreading pro-liberty propaganda

Started by Syt, November 12, 2012, 08:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on November 13, 2012, 01:55:50 PM
Where are you from so that I know not to bring my sidewalk chalk to its overly-authoritarian shores? :)

The UK I believe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Gups on November 13, 2012, 01:50:01 PM
It's a criminal offence  to draw on the pavement in this country. Maybe it shouln't be, and maybe it isn't in most countries,  but it is here. I can't see what the cop did wrong here.

You fuckers made me check the law without anyone paying me for it.

Section 132, Hoghways Act 1980

1)A person who, without either the consent of the highway authority for the highway in question or an authorisation given by or under an enactment or a reasonable excuse, paints or otherwise inscribes or affixes any picture, letter, sign or other mark upon the surface of a highway or upon any tree, structure or works on or in a highway is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding £100 or, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction under this subsection, to a fine not exceeding £200. .

So why wasn't he convicted ?

And why are you using pavement when referring to the highway, as any given piece of pavement might be part of the highway or perhaps local authority land not deemed so or private land or indeed a small area where ownership isn't easy to establish.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on November 13, 2012, 02:02:02 PM
Other things you can't write on pavements in the UK in chalk or anything else:

"No Parking"
"Free parking"
"Kill the Jews"
"Go to work on an egg"
"Big hairy cock"

I bet such inscriptions are discouraged in many countries.

I bet that the judiciary in many countries (the UK included) care more about political speech then they do about big hairy cocks.  I would like to believe that Marti still represents a minority of thought on these issues.

Eddie Teach

I'd rather sidewalk artists write "Big hairy cock" than draw one.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?