News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Armistice Day 2012

Started by Valmy, November 11, 2012, 03:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Today we remember the end of the World War I and the four years that preceded.

I would like to remember my cousin Sub Lieutenant Sidney Gower Poole of Surrey (born 31st October 1878), member of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve and veteran of Gallipoli , who died during the last weeks of the Battle of the Somme 13 Nov 1916 while serving as platoon commander in 'D' Company of Hawke's Battalion of the 63rd (Royal Navy) Division.  In Memoriam.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

You did a good job calling it by the proper name.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Here's to my grandfather, volunteered in 1917 and fought on the Western Front in a machine gun battalion.  He was gassed and lived to tell the tale (albeit missing 3/4 of a lung).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Archy

I thank the Brittish for keeping save my greatgrandmother during those 4 years, after they fled the advancing Hun!
My grandmother was a teadrinker because of this  :bowler:

jimmy olsen

Here's to my great granduncle Eddy who served as motorcycle courier in the American Army. He survived into his early 90s, and I met him several times as a young boy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Uncle Paul, 93, ret. USMC, is still doing well up in Staten Island.  Iwo Jima couldn't kill him, he wasn't worried about a storm.  "IVE SEEN WORSE"

Syt

I have no idea what my grand or great grandparents did in The Great War, if anything, but I'm sure it was unspeakable atrocities.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2012, 07:38:29 AM
I have no idea what my grand or great grandparents did in The Great War, if anything, but I'm sure it was unspeakable atrocities.

:lol:

I would like to honor my two great grandparents who I know about from that time. It was mighty nice of them to survive (most notably the horrible failed 1918 Piave offensive) and return so that I can live today.

Razgovory

My great Grand father fought in the war at St. Mihel and the Argonne Offensive.  He was wounded a few hours after the armistice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

My maternal great grandfather served on the Grosser Kürfürst throughout the war. His son, my grandfather, served in the uboat fleet during the second world war. Both lucky to survive.

Saladin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2012, 07:36:01 AM
Uncle Paul, 93, ret. USMC, is still doing well up in Staten Island.  Iwo Jima couldn't kill him, he wasn't worried about a storm.  "IVE SEEN WORSE"

<3
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Zanza

I have actually no idea who of the generation of my great-grandparents participated in the war. I know some did because I've seen photos and a Soldbuch, but I know no details at all.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on November 13, 2012, 10:36:47 AM
I have actually no idea who of the generation of my great-grandparents participated in the war. I know some did because I've seen photos and a Soldbuch, but I know no details at all.

Is this normal for Germans to just not know these things?  Granted I have a sample size of two here.  I guess that is understandable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

I know what my grandparents did in WW2, but I honestly couldn't even tell you for sure the names of all my great-grandparents. Can't say whether that's normal or not.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on November 13, 2012, 10:48:23 AM
I know what my grandparents did in WW2, but I honestly couldn't even tell you for sure the names of all my great-grandparents. Can't say whether that's normal or not.

Ah ok.  Yeah that is pretty normal.  Doing my genealogy stuff I am often amazed at how alot of people do not even know who their grandparents are.