Main Menu

Obama, Part II: Remodeling the cabinetry

Started by CountDeMoney, November 08, 2012, 04:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

This letter to the NYT in July has been pinging round the internet today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/magazine/a-message-from-beyond.html?_r=1&
QuoteMY WIFE'S LOVER

My wife is having an affair with a government executive. His role is to manage a project whose progress is seen worldwide as a demonstration of American leadership. (This might seem hyperbolic, but it is not an exaggeration.) I have met with him on several occasions, and he has been gracious. (I doubt if he is aware of my knowledge.) I have watched the affair intensify over the last year, and I have also benefited from his generosity. He is engaged in work that I am passionate about and is absolutely the right person for the job. I strongly feel that exposing the affair will create a major distraction that would adversely impact the success of an important effort. My issue: Should I acknowledge this affair and finally force closure? Should I suffer in silence for the next year or two for a project I feel must succeed? Should I be "true to my heart" and walk away from the entire miserable situation and put the episode behind me? NAME WITHHELD

Don't expose the affair in any high-profile way. It would be different if this man's project was promoting some (contextually hypocritical) family-values platform, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The only motive for exposing the relationship would be to humiliate him and your wife, and that's never a good reason for doing anything. This is between you and your spouse. You should tell her you want to separate, just as you would if she were sleeping with the mailman. The idea of "suffering in silence" for the good of the project is illogical. How would the quiet divorce of this man's mistress hurt an international leadership initiative? He'd probably be relieved.

The fact that you're willing to accept your wife's infidelity for some greater political good is beyond honorable. In fact, it's so over-the-top honorable that I'm not sure I believe your motives are real. Part of me wonders why you're even posing this question, particularly in a column that is printed in The New York Times.

Your dilemma is intriguing, but I don't see how it's ambiguous. Your wife is having an affair with a person you happen to respect. Why would that last detail change the way you respond to her cheating? Do you admire this man so much that you haven't asked your wife why she keeps having sex with him? I halfway suspect you're writing this letter because you want specific people to read this column and deduce who is involved and what's really going on behind closed doors (without actually addressing the conflict in person). That's not ethical, either.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 09, 2012, 11:56:54 PM
QuoteMY WIFE'S LOVER

My wife is having an affair with a government executive. His role is to manage a project whose progress is seen worldwide as a demonstration of American leadership. (This might seem hyperbolic, but it is not an exaggeration.) I have met with him on several occasions, and he has been gracious. (I doubt if he is aware of my knowledge.) I have watched the affair intensify over the last year, and I have also benefited from his generosity. He is engaged in work that I am passionate about and is absolutely the right person for the job. I strongly feel that exposing the affair will create a major distraction that would adversely impact the success of an important effort. My issue: Should I acknowledge this affair and finally force closure? Should I suffer in silence for the next year or two for a project I feel must succeed? Should I be "true to my heart" and walk away from the entire miserable situation and put the episode behind me? NAME WITHHELD

Don't expose the affair in any high-profile way. It would be different if this man's project was promoting some (contextually hypocritical) family-values platform, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The only motive for exposing the relationship would be to humiliate him and your wife, and that's never a good reason for doing anything. This is between you and your spouse. You should tell her you want to separate, just as you would if she were sleeping with the mailman. The idea of "suffering in silence" for the good of the project is illogical. How would the quiet divorce of this man's mistress hurt an international leadership initiative? He'd probably be relieved.

The fact that you're willing to accept your wife's infidelity for some greater political good is beyond honorable. In fact, it's so over-the-top honorable that I'm not sure I believe your motives are real. Part of me wonders why you're even posing this question, particularly in a column that is printed in The New York Times.

Your dilemma is intriguing, but I don't see how it's ambiguous. Your wife is having an affair with a person you happen to respect. Why would that last detail change the way you respond to her cheating? Do you admire this man so much that you haven't asked your wife why she keeps having sex with him? I halfway suspect you're writing this letter because you want specific people to read this column and deduce who is involved and what's really going on behind closed doors (without actually addressing the conflict in person). That's not ethical, either.

Kinda reminds of some sort of medieval story about the king having an affair with a nobles wife.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Eh, would have been more interesting if he was banging Michelle.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2012, 01:08:16 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 09, 2012, 11:56:54 PM
QuoteMY WIFE'S LOVER

Kinda reminds of some sort of medieval story about the king having an affair with a nobles wife.

Yeah. I remember reading that letter and was quite intrigued. Now even more intrigued.

The Brain

I can't see anyone in Sweden resigning from a similar job because of an extramarital affair.

Horror and moral panic are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 09, 2012, 10:41:26 PM
The aforementioned, and suddenly dish-breaking-around-the-house-how-could-you-you-asshole, Mrs. Petraeus:
Well, he was definitely trading up. Though you have to feel bad for the wife; her romantic options in the future look to be... limited.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Legbiter

WIFE:

MISTRESS:

Yeah, stupid but I understand.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

Apparently, she was the security issue.

QuotePetraeus' biographer Paula Broadwell under FBI investigation over access to his email, law enforcement officials say

The biographer for resigning CIA Director David Petraeus is under FBI investigation for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Friday.

Paula Broadwell is the author of Petraeus' biography, "All In." She had extensive access to Petraeus in Afghanistan and has given numerous television interviews speaking about him.

The law enforcement officials said they do not believe the FBI investigation will result in any criminal charges. They also stressed that Petraeus is not under investigation.

The CIA declined all comment on the case. Broadwell could not be reached for comment.

Broadwell's Twitter account describes her as a national security analyst and Army veteran. A biography on her website, which went offline Friday evening, said she is married to a radiologist and has two children, both boys. The family lives in Charlotte, N.C. The biography said she is a West Point graduate and a research associate at Harvard University's Center for Public Leadership and a doctoral candidate in the Department of War Studies at King's College London.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Would be so cool if she turned out to be a Russian spy.

But I just came out of a James Bond marathon.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on November 10, 2012, 06:53:54 AM
Would be so cool if she turned out to be a Russian spy.

There's a certain romanticism about that, yes.  But the reality is just as boring as all realities:  an opportunistic woman, and a man led astray by his penis.  Some things will never change.

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2012, 06:56:22 AM
Some things will never change.
We can change our education, training, parenting, and then ultimately ourselves.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on November 10, 2012, 07:05:58 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2012, 06:56:22 AM
Some things will never change.
We can change our education, training, parenting, and then ultimately ourselves.

What are you, a Pepsi slogan?

Alpha Males and Alpha Females don't change their spots.

Legbiter

He should be commended for fucking outside his chain of command. Most of these guys just fool around with their own secretaries and HQ staff.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.