Egypt takes Islamist threats to destroy Pyramids, Sphinx seriously

Started by jimmy olsen, November 13, 2012, 08:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2012, 09:39:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2012, 08:49:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 13, 2012, 08:32:23 PM
Yeah, I mean according to Islamic chroniclers one guy knocked the nose off the Sphinx ( I don't know if that's true or not though).  The Pyramids are like big hill made of stone.
I thought a French canonball knocked the nose off?

Please tell me you are kidding.

Yeah, French fire at Trafalgar wasn't very accurate, but it wasn't that inaccurate.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2012, 09:53:52 PM
Yeah, I mean according to Islamic chroniclers one guy knocked the nose off the Sphinx ( I don't know if that's true or not though).  The Pyramids are like big hill made of stone.

Somebody watches a cartoon in their formative toddler years, it's seared into their minds.

Hell, I thought the Barber of Seville actually had a barber shop.
I don't remember picking up this myth by seeing it on a cartoon, but I must have picked it up somewhere.

The real story.
http://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_sphinx.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

When I want the real story I consult encyclopedias and illustrated references.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2012, 10:32:53 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2012, 09:53:52 PM

Somebody watches a cartoon in their formative toddler years, it's seared into their minds.

Hell, I thought the Barber of Seville actually had a barber shop.
I don't remember picking up this myth by seeing it on a cartoon, but I must have picked it up somewhere.

The real story.
http://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_sphinx.html
yes, explain to us who knew you were wrong already why you were wrong :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Except that he posted a link that claims it knows definitively the actual answer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2012, 11:11:27 PM
Except that he posted a link that claims it knows definitively the actual answer.
No it doesn't. It lists several different theories of what happened.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2012, 11:14:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2012, 11:11:27 PM
No it doesn't. It lists several different theories of what happened.

QuoteThis error has persisted in spite of the fact that the truth can be readily found in such common reference sources as...

It basically says all of those things happened.

Siege

I thought the Pyramids were landing pads for Gho'ul motherships.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Someone made a sketch of the Sphinx nearly a 100 years before Napoleon showed up and it already lost it's nose.  The claim that some religious fanatic did it goes back to the 15h century I think, but it could just as easily be a legend like Napoleon's soldiers shooting off the nose. It seems like it would be hard for one guy to climb up there and hammer it off.  It probably just fell off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on November 13, 2012, 09:55:39 PM
Bugs single handedly defamed and libeled nimrod. That's a pretty impressive feat.

The great thing is "nimrod" sounds like an insult.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Solmyr on November 14, 2012, 10:08:11 AM
It *was* the French...

It looks like they had a guy named "Meyer", pose for that statute.   I guess we know now what all the Israelites were doing in Egypt at the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.