News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your political bent

Started by merithyn, November 07, 2012, 06:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you define your political views?

Fiscal Conservative/Social Conservative
Fiscal Conservative/Social Liberal
Fiscal Liberal/Social Conservative
Fiscal Liberal/Social Liberal
Other - please explain

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2012, 11:18:27 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 06:02:25 PM
A conversation at work had me wondering where the people of Languish fall on these things. If you don't identify with any of the above, please explain how you do identify yourself regarding fiscal and social policies.
Sometimes, I feel like I'm alone in my corner.
Social liberal & fiscal conservative.

I like democracy, so I can't be in the same corner as Neil.
I have a lot of concerns about the proximity of religion and politics, so I'm not totally with BB who's more tolerant of this than me.
I don't think research and development should be left exclusively to the private sector, or even exclusively to the universities and I don't think the government should cut financing to Universities that don't do enough applied research instead of fundamental research.
You have problems with the proximity of religion and politics... in Canada?  :huh:

And no, you can't be in the same corner as me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

I feel like I'm alone in my corner.

:rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Social Liberal & Fiscal Communist.

One Union to rule them all, One FTQ to bind them!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on November 08, 2012, 11:22:45 AM
You have problems with the proximity of religion and politics... in Canada?  :huh:
Those medals given to anti-abortion activists jailed for their crimes...

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2012, 11:24:30 AM

The general principles are share by many.  The details though... I disagree with science cuts, I approve of Kyoto/reduction of greenhouse gases, I believe protecting the environment is important so long as we don't go batshit insane about it.  Most people describing themselves as social conservative would be against any kind of reduction of our pollutants, consider global warming to be a fraud, believe oil subsidies are good, etc, etc.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2012, 03:26:48 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2012, 11:24:30 AM

The general principles are share by many.  The details though... I disagree with science cuts, I approve of Kyoto/reduction of greenhouse gases, I believe protecting the environment is important so long as we don't go batshit insane about it.  Most people describing themselves as social conservative would be against any kind of reduction of our pollutants, consider global warming to be a fraud, believe oil subsidies are good, etc, etc.

But you didn't describe yourself as social conservative, so those positions don't really knock anyone new out of your corner. :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

I would consider myself to be "liberal" both in fiscal and social matters.

I've also spent the past several years ranting about government waste and profligacy  :hmm:

I wouldn't say that there is a contradiction there though. In the UK, when government expenditure falls below the 40% of GDP level, people tend to get upset about inadequate public services. Conversely, when the tax take rises above that figure people get preoccupied with the state taking too much. So it seems to me that we should try and spend that 40% in the most efficient way possible. In general that has been done, but I think the spending would have been more effective if we did not oscillate between profligacy and gratuitous parsimony.

derspiess

So who other than me voted for the first option?  Dps?

Anyway, I'm personally full conservative in both areas but will sacrifice social for fiscal/economic when necessary.

And one thing I've noticed about the so-called fiscal conservatives of Languish is that they tend to find whatever excuse they can to vote against their supposed fiscal interests.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 08, 2012, 04:40:30 PM
I wouldn't say that there is a contradiction there though.
And of course it varies where you are.  For example Viking's comment about free trade and protectionism just don't apply here.  I don't think any non-fascist party here is protectionist, the British political instinct is towards liberalisation of markets and more free trade.  But I can see that that is more of a liberal/conservative issue in the US and some of the continent.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2012, 07:52:51 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 08, 2012, 04:40:30 PM
I wouldn't say that there is a contradiction there though.
And of course it varies where you are.  For example Viking's comment about free trade and protectionism just don't apply here.  I don't think any non-fascist party here is protectionist, the British political instinct is towards liberalisation of markets and more free trade.  But I can see that that is more of a liberal/conservative issue in the US and some of the continent.

+1

The last time a non-liberal government sat in britain the Duke of Wellington was arguing about Corn Laws. Since then Britain has been for free-trade with anybody who free-trades back. The Party is called The Conservative Party but in truth it is yet another shade of liberal. Again, as I said, the opposite of Conservative is Radical, not Liberal. Even British Labour Party governments have ultimately been liberal. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

What is a "Fiscal conservative"? Conservatives these days are generally economically liberal so...err....eh?
I'm a leftist and that is all that is important, economics are merely a means to an end. I guess I favour a mixed economy?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2012, 08:48:37 PM
What is a "Fiscal conservative"? Conservatives these days are generally economically liberal so...err....eh?
I'm a leftist and that is all that is important, economics are merely a means to an end. I guess I favour a mixed economy?

It means you talk about a balanced budget when you are out of power.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Hard left.   I have no idea what fiscal conservative/liberal is supposed to mean in this context.  Is it "liberal" to believe in "liberalization of trade"?  I'm not for that, I'm for as much autarky amongst the developed world as feasible and forcing shit countries to adopt Western policies in general and my policies in particular if they do not wish to starve.  Is "conservative" meant to be "lower taxes"?  No, I believe in a 90% top marginal rate.  I guess I'm pretty socially liberal.  I voted "other."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2012, 09:20:45 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2012, 08:48:37 PM

It means you talk about a balanced budget when you are out of power.

I've never been in power. :(

That said, I did a mean job of balancing my project budgets.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.