Should Those From Eschatological Religions or Groups Be Banned From High Office?

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 02:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Those From Religion or Groups With Eschatological Views Be Banned From High Office

Yes
4 (16.7%)
No
20 (83.3%)
Undecided
0 (0%)
DOn't Care
0 (0%)
The Special Jaron Option
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2012, 02:48:33 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 02:43:41 PM
Yes because they are either crazy or lying; but then again you already knew I was going to say that.

Please expand on your view; I'm genuinely interested.

He's a bigot with an authoritarian steak.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Yes because they are either crazy or lying; but then again you already knew I was going to say that.

So you propose to ban from office any politician who is crazy or lies?
Who exactly would that leave?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 07, 2012, 05:44:58 PM

The gullible or clinically stupid ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 04:28:48 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2012, 04:23:01 PM
No, but I'd never want one in office.

Most of modern history has had said individuals in charge.

There's never been a US President (or, AFAIK, a British PM) who wasn't at least nominally a member of such a religion.

Quote from: celedhringMost of modern history hasn't been too great.

It's generally been a whole heck of a lot better than medieval or ancient history.

Viking

Those who don't tout their religion in political campaigns and use it to justify their policy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 06:49:27 PM

Those who don't tout their religion in political campaigns and use it to justify their policy.

Which pretty much means everybody would be banned except those that think exactly like you.  Which is of course your goal, and the exact opposite of real freedom and democracy.

Viking

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2012, 06:52:37 PM

Which pretty much means everybody would be banned except those that think exactly like you.  Which is of course your goal, and the exact opposite of real freedom and democracy.

No. Those who don't use religion to claim personal integrity or theology to justify policy are quite numerous.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

citizen k

Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 06:59:54 PM
No. Those who don't use religion to claim personal integrity or theology to justify policy are quite numerous.

I AM LEGION !!!ONEONEONE

Ho Ho Ho!

Solmyr

Everyone should be perfectly free to tout their religion, or atheism, or Cthulhu, in their political campaigning. It's the same as touting everything else, and shouldn't be a particular reason for banning anything.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on November 07, 2012, 07:09:13 PM
Everyone should be perfectly free to tout their religion, or atheism, or Cthulhu, in their political campaigning. It's the same as touting everything else, and shouldn't be a particular reason for banning anything.

How can you justify that in a society which bans prisoners and convicted felons and people with certain diagnoses from running for office? (I am referring to multiple countries with various bans, so don't go on the "we don't ban that here" red herring).

dps

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2012, 06:52:37 PM

Not in the US.  Heck, even the very few avowed atheists in politics tout their atheism.

mongers

Just to be clear I'm talking about genuinely held views of an eschatological character.

Ahmadinejad would be a good example, some one who apparently subscribes to the 'hidden/last prophet' tendancy of Shia Islam, but hasn't as yet access to nuclear weapons.

Most born again Christians, including ones I have know, would get a pass as whilst they subscribe to a particular interpretation of the bible, I haven't met any that genuinely believe we are living in the end times, they get on with their lives and aren't actively planning for rapture etc.

However, my 'my world' I'd certainly ban Jehovah witnesses, as they do genuinely believe we are at the end of history and so wouldn't trust one with access to nukes, large armies etc. 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I cant think of a single politican, other than athiests, would would not claim that their personal integrity is not in some way bound up in their religious belief.  Indeed they would say it was integral part of it.

dps

Quote from: Viking on November 07, 2012, 07:16:21 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 07, 2012, 07:09:13 PM

How can you justify that in a society which bans prisoners and convicted felons and people with certain diagnoses from running for office? (I am referring to multiple countries with various bans, so don't go on the "we don't ban that here" red herring).

I think that the reasoning for banning convicted felons would be self-evident, even if you don't agree with it.  I'm not aware of laws banning people with "certain diagnoses" from office, so I can't comment on that.

BTW, as far as federal offices go, "we don't ban that here" isn't a red herring in the US.  Here's the legal requirements to hold the office of President: 

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

The 12th amendment imposes the same requirements on the Vice President (I think that it had been assumed before then that the VP had to meet the same requirements, but the amendment formalized it) and the 21st barred anyone from being elected to the Presidency more than twice.

The requirements to be a US Senator:

"No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen."

The requirements to be a member of the US House of Representatives:

"No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen."

That's it.  Age, citizenship, and residency requirements, nothing more (and a lot of people in Congress probably don't really meet the residency requirements, but the courts generally won't touch the issue, and it has proven to be not something that much influences voters).  Nothing legally bans prisoners, felons, or those diagnosed with certain diseases from office.  Of course very few people are likely to vote for a convicted rapist-murderer serving a life sentence to be their Senator, but legally they could do so.

Now, once you get past federal offices, it's hard to say what you'll find.