News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elite: Dangerous

Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 04:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

NP.  :)   

They're kinda funny because all it is is transporting...IIRC it's toxic waste.  The cargo itself is basically worthless, but the missions end up paying out so much because of the distance multiplier, and it goes up as your reputation increases with them as well. 

Tamas

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 10, 2017, 12:42:43 PM
NP.  :)   

They're kinda funny because all it is is transporting...IIRC it's toxic waste.  The cargo itself is basically worthless, but the missions end up paying out so much because of the distance multiplier, and it goes up as your reputation increases with them as well.

I am aiming at working my reputation up to Allied status with the faction controlling my "home base". Then I can catch missions paying in the tens of millions (last one I saw was 50) for transferring passengers 10-20 thousand lightyears away and back :D

Really tempted to do one of those.

MadBurgerMaker

That sounds like it would be a really long trip with a lot of jumps.  You could also make a bunch of cash from system scans with something like that.

Josquius

Amazing you can do all this, I still consider it an achievement to dock :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on February 10, 2017, 01:16:24 PM
That sounds like it would be a really long trip with a lot of jumps.  You could also make a bunch of cash from system scans with something like that.

Yeah deadline on such a mission is around 3 weeks

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2017, 01:43:30 PM

Use a controller of joystick :)

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 10, 2017, 02:51:53 PM

I am trying on an xbox pad but I'm not sure its right. There doesn't seem enough buttons on the pad to do everything
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2017, 03:10:56 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 10, 2017, 02:51:53 PM

I am trying on an xbox pad but I'm not sure its right. There doesn't seem enough buttons on the pad to do everything

I'm sure there aren't.  I played on a controller with throttle which had a good # of buttons, and still need to make copious use of keyboard controls.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

QuoteAnd it made feel dirty to sell poor slaves, all 104 tons of them.

Sell: 1 Katmai.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2017, 09:40:11 PM
QuoteAnd it made feel dirty to sell poor slaves, all 104 tons of them.

Sell: 1 Katmai.
:ultra:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Crazy_Ivan80

I've managed to update my install, now I actually need to log in some time :p

Tamas

I've returned to this now that they have new exploration and mining mechanics.

My goal is to have a decent ship for each of the main roles I might feel like playing. None of the Engineers custom super-upgrades (I'll do that once I have the top ships in these roles), but near-best from the default stuff.

I already have a pretty well kitted-out Asp Explorer for exploration. The new mechanic for it is pretty neat. Instead of flying around like a fly in the kitchen, you sit and try to tune in to different radio signals to identify and scan the planetary bodies. You can fly close to one and gain extra money with a detailed planetary scan though.

I also have some first- and business class passenger cabins stored away to turn the Asp into a passenger ship when I feel like it.

I have a Type 7 Transporter for trading. I've found an area close to the edge of settled space where a close-by Imperial and Federation system really match each others' demands. Sometimes I can take 3-4 cargo delivery missions going to the same system.

I have a fairly cheapo combat ship but I am not really interested in combat yet.

And I've just kitted out a Federal Dropship for mining, but I am yet to actually try the new mechanics. Deploying explosive charges to tear apart asteroids for the extra-valuable stuff in their middle sounds intriguing though.

I really like how you can bump into some pretty picturesque space stuff just by flying around doing your thing. It can be truly beautiful. Also the scale of the thing. I always "settle" in a particular part of space, doing missions building my reputation with local factions, end up doing rounds around maybe half a dozen systems. Bases, planets become familiar. It's cool to remember that this is just a very very tiny portion of the inhabited portion of the game world, which in turn is a miniscule part of the galaxy in the game. Last weekend I went toward the Coalsack region exploring and a few hundred lightyears from settled space couldn't stumble upon a single solar system where I was the first player to enter it. There was maybe two where the first guy didn't do a proper scan so some planets registered for the first time by me, but that's all. Yet, according to data from last March, only 0.2% of the game world has been explored.

Of course, even with the now very detailed faction interaction mechanics (which I do think help a lot filling the world with a sense of life and activity), you very much need to make your own goals as the game won't help you much with that. But Elite was never anything else. No doubt I'll go bored and I'll set it aside again for a time, but until then, it's great.

Pedrito

After some years of complete inactivity, I just recently bought the Horizons Season Pass and am learning all the different new mechanics.

Last night the planetary landings gave me the headache, mainly because I did not RTFM and jumped straight into the tutorials, so did not bind all the different controls and right now I don't understand if the aiming system is linked to the diection I'm facing, or if its' possible to aim in a direction different from the one I'm facing. I tried all the keyboard keys, and the joystick ones too, but to no avail  :blush:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: