News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voting for President, for the wrong reasons?

Started by Berkut, November 01, 2012, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Good call, CdM. I was about to quote the same article.

The Brain

If I were to vote in this election I wouldn't.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on November 01, 2012, 03:34:24 PM
Maybe if Berk wasn't so partisan he wouldn't have this problem.

Self-hating Republicans are the worst.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 03:27:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 03:24:58 PM
Anyway, if you do not live in a battleground state and don't like either of the two main candidates, I think the best thing to do is vote for a third party candidate that better represents your views.

The American Scipio approach.
THat's been my way of handling things.  It doesn't matter in Mass who I vote for, so I used to vote Nader.  Don't know about this time.  Not a Green party or Libertarian.
PDH!

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on November 01, 2012, 02:56:38 PM
So I was tlaking ot the wife, and she was remarking on the fact that I am a Republican who never seems to vote Republican, and we got to talking about this election.

I realized that I wasn't really voting for Obama because I think he is all that great personally - really, he has been mostly a significant dissapointment. I always said he had potential to be a great President, but I high likelihood of just being mediocre. Well, I think he is a lot closer to mediocre than great.

And Romeny doesn't even really bother me anymore - he did during the Primary, but that was mostly because I was really just disguested with the Tea Party bullshit, and his pandering to them. But really, he is a moderate, business oriented, pretty smart guy. Nothing really objectionable about him, but nothing really to get excited about either. Unlike Obama as a candidate in 2008, I don't think Romney has any significant "upside". What you see is what you get, and there is no real chance that once he is in office he would be excellent.

So I am left with a sitting President who I think is mediocre, even if he had potential, and a candidate who has no real potential, but no real negative potnetial either. Honestly, I think both men are...adequate.

But there is zero chance I am voting for Romney anyway. And it isn't because I am a RINO.

Rather, it is because I cannot stand the idea of rewarding the Republicans for spending the last four years holding the country hostage, and basically refusing to govern under the idea that causing the country to fail to recover is the best way of getting Obama out, and that was more important than the actual well being of the country.

More fundamentally, things like Voter ID laws and such make it clear that for the Republicans, winning is the goal, not the means to the goal. Win the election is all that matters - actually getting anything done is immaterial. That much was clear form their winning the mid-terms - they didn't want to win so they could get things done, they wanted to win so they could make sure NOTHING gets done.

SO there it is - I am not really ovting for Obama, or even against Romney. I am voting against radical partisanship and the tactics that entails.

I understand you completely. I have some philosophical differences with Romney which helped push me toward Obama anyway, but ultimately, I hate the way the Republicans have acted over the past four years and can't see voting for any of them in any office. I also despise the idea that they can claim to be about small government and getting government out of people's lives while still trying to outlaw gay marriage and abortion.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 01, 2012, 03:38:59 PM
Good call, CdM. I was about to quote the same article.

Now you know Seedy what you did wrong.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Only 5 days to go.   :)

I wonder if they'll manage putting off campaigning for the mid-terms until after the inauguration ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 03:31:47 PM
Yeah, pretty much.  Yours too, ain't it?  If it's close then obviously pick the better of the two, but if it's not close in your state there's no sense in helping give the winner some sense of mandate if you don't like him.

Pretty much, the Libertarians get lots of Valmy votes.  I only seriously consider my vote in local elections.  Though I think I bungled this year, I voted for a bond proposal I now realize was horrible.  I sure hope my fellow citizens help correct my error.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I don't know about the "no upside" part Berk.  I think Romney has significant upside.  Here's a bit in a David Frum piece that kind of sums it up:

QuoteBut I also reject the Jonathan Chait theory that Romney personally shares the beliefs of the selfish and stupid elements of the coalition. Massachusetts Mitt - the Mitt who hurled himself into the battle for universal health coverage within his state - also came from someplace real. I believe they came from the place whence also came passages like this in Romney's book, No Apology, a book whose middle sections pretty obviously were written or dictated by the candidate himself.
Following my election as governor of Massachusetts, and knowing that I now shared responsibility for the education of hundreds of thousands of young people, I studied the education literature to gain perspective. What I found was a virtual quicksand of differing opinion in which it would be easy to sink, but what was missing was an examination of data. Instead, most writers sought to convince readers by appealing to their inherent prejudices and by recounting anecdotes that supported their particular policy preferences. ... Anecdotes are illustrative, but data is compelling – particularly if it is comprehensive and presented by an unbiased source. (201)

Getty

I liked the bit about the data, but even more the calm acceptance of "responsibility." Romney has demonstrated an ability to absorb and process information we've seen in no Republican candidate for president since Dwight Eisenhower. And the finest accomplishment of his governorship, Romneycare, is the work of a man who takes seriously the obligations that society owes to each and every one of its members, the 47% as well as the 53%. Romney has the capacity to excel at the job of president.

And now that I look at the article again, he has the same objection you do about congressional republicans, but comes to the opposite result:

QuoteThe question over his head is not a question about him at all. It's a question about his party - and that question is the same whether Romney wins or loses. The congressional Republicans have shown themselves a destructive and irrational force in American politics. But we won't reform the congressional GOP by re-electing President Obama. If anything, an Obama re-election will not only aggravate the extremism of the congressional GOP, but also empower them: an Obama re-election raises the odds in favor of big sixth-year sweep for the congressional GOP - and very possibly a seventh-year impeachment. A Romney election will at least discourage the congressional GOP from deliberately pushing the US into recession in 2013. Added bonus: a Romney presidency likely means that the congressional GOP will lose seats in 2014, as they deserve.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/01/why-i-ll-vote-for-romney.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 04:08:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 03:31:47 PM
Yeah, pretty much.  Yours too, ain't it?  If it's close then obviously pick the better of the two, but if it's not close in your state there's no sense in helping give the winner some sense of mandate if you don't like him.

Pretty much, the Libertarians get lots of Valmy votes.  I only seriously consider my vote in local elections.  Though I think I bungled this year, I voted for a bond proposal I now realize was horrible.  I sure hope my fellow citizens help correct my error.

I voted in favor of both county levy renewals.  They're fairly modest and do a little to help out old people, drug addicts and crazies :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2012, 04:13:57 PM

QuoteThe question over his head is not a question about him at all. It's a question about his party - and that question is the same whether Romney wins or loses. The congressional Republicans have shown themselves a destructive and irrational force in American politics. But we won't reform the congressional GOP by re-electing President Obama. If anything, an Obama re-election will not only aggravate the extremism of the congressional GOP, but also empower them: an Obama re-election raises the odds in favor of big sixth-year sweep for the congressional GOP - and very possibly a seventh-year impeachment. A Romney election will at least discourage the congressional GOP from deliberately pushing the US into recession in 2013. Added bonus: a Romney presidency likely means that the congressional GOP will lose seats in 2014, as they deserve.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/01/why-i-ll-vote-for-romney.html

If the GOP proves that this is a successful strategy, why shouldn't the Dems follow it if Romney wins?  If we follow this advice, the Dems might as well hang up their hats and leave.  If they win elections they will be obstructed at every possible turn and prevented from governing, and if they lose they will be expected to be bipartisan and let the Republicans have their way because democrats are apparently the only adults in the room.  What is the point for Dems to run for office at all?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Raz, if it is all down to Republican obstructionism, what was the reason for the failure of the Pelosi-Reid Connection?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 04:44:22 PM
Raz, if it is all down to Republican obstructionism, what was the reason for the failure of the Pelosi-Reid Connection?

Why don't you tell me what that is first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2012, 04:46:07 PM

The period of time when Obama first arrived, the Dems in charge across the board still had difficulties rallying their troops.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 04:47:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 01, 2012, 04:46:07 PM

The period of time when Obama first arrived, the Dems in charge across the board still had difficulties rallying their troops.

Yeah. I totally blame Pelosi for that whole mess. Maybe it's just personal dislike of the woman, but it seemed like she had no idea what she was doing, and certainly no clue how to get anything pulled together and passed.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...