News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your Hallowe'en plans tonight?

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 01:37:35 PM
It's too soon.  Gotta wait at least until the Civil Rights generation dies out.  As long as this stuff is still in living memory, at the very least, you gotta be smart about it.  It is not like we are talking ancient history here.

I'm only saying it shouldn't be a big deal.  I know full well that it is. 

QuoteAs far as the red headed thing LOL.  Come on.

You laugh, but there's a growing ginger consciousness movement.  I look forward to checking both redhead *and* Hispandex on my daughter's college application.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 01:46:52 PM
:lol: "No, I didn't say Klinger, I said Dalton!"

:D Klinger's specialty was keeping the Bengals out of the entire game.  Dalton was great last year in the 4th quarter, but for some reason he's choking in the 4th quarter this year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 01:38:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 01:35:10 PM
I'm just saying it shouldn't in Obama's post-racial America.

Camille Paglia said he's made America more divisive on race than before he was elected.

I wasn't being 100% serious.  And I love me some Camille :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 01:48:49 PM
You laugh, but there's a growing ginger consciousness movement. 

I blame Brit pop culture.

QuoteI look forward to checking both redhead *and* Hispandex on my daughter's college application.

lulz, a ginger gaucho.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2012, 01:46:09 PM
Yes, you are.

If you're talking about "real blackface", it's use pretty much died out in the 1930s, and absolutely completely died out by the 60s.  Blackface was a Vaudeville staple for goodness sakes, and vaudeville has been dead and buried for a long, long time.

I'm with derspeiss.  I understand that some people find it offensive so I wouldn't do it, but I don't really agree with those that find it offensive.

Vaudeville struggled on into the 50s.  And that is not ancient history those people are still around.  And you say all this, acting like these issues are long sense dead and buried and then turn right around and say, absurdly, that you understand why people find it offensive.  If you think it is ancient history, and out of living memory with no existing impact on culture and society, then what exactly is your understanding of what makes it offensive?

Anyway racism, and its symbols, are going away in this country but it is not ancient history yet.  Personally I do not find things like blackface offensive so much as painful.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 03:55:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2012, 01:46:09 PM
Yes, you are.

If you're talking about "real blackface", it's use pretty much died out in the 1930s, and absolutely completely died out by the 60s.  Blackface was a Vaudeville staple for goodness sakes, and vaudeville has been dead and buried for a long, long time.

I'm with derspeiss.  I understand that some people find it offensive so I wouldn't do it, but I don't really agree with those that find it offensive.

Vaudeville struggled on into the 50s.  And that is not ancient history those people are still around.  And you say all this, acting like these issues are long sense dead and buried and then turn right around and say, absurdly, that you understand why people find it offensive.  If you think it is ancient history, and out of living memory with no existing impact on culture and society, then what exactly is your understanding of what makes it offensive?

Anyway racism, and its symbols, are going away in this country but it is not ancient history yet.  Personally I do not find things like blackface offensive so much as painful.

Allergy?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

You laugh, but there's a growing ginger consciousness movement.  I look forward to checking both redhead *and* Hispandex on my daughter's college application.

I do not really understand everybody's desire to invent new identities and conciousnesses.  There is no ginger prejudice in the US anyway, that is a UK thing.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 03:58:23 PM

I do not really understand everybody's desire to invent new identities and conciousnesses.  There is no ginger prejudice in the US anyway, that is a UK thing.

Victimization (real or imagined) --> Grievance --> Protected Status --> Profit

garbon

And why would that happen with hair color? That's something one can change at a whim.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 04:04:52 PM
And why would that happen with hair color? That's something one can change at a whim.

I suppose black folks can do similar things to whiten up their appearance.  And homogays can act straight if they don't want to be treated differently.

RED PRIDE

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 04:07:59 PM

I suppose black folks can do similar things to whiten up their appearance.  And homogays can act straight if they don't want to be treated differently.

RED PRIDE

They'd largely still be called black and many gays can try but a) still are found out and b) are still actually gay.  Hair color is much more mutable than those other two. Just ask most "blondes".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 04:12:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 04:07:59 PM

RED PRIDE

They'd largely still be called black and many gays can try but a) still are found out and b) are still actually gay.  Hair color is much more mutable than those other two. Just ask most "blondes".

Redheads can be outed, too.

But that's all beside the point:  why should they *have* to change?  Society should just accept them!!

garbon

My point was that anyone can become a redhead. A bit hard to change your sexual preference or "race".