BBC: What U.S. sitcoms say about American voters

Started by Syt, October 30, 2012, 03:41:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 30, 2012, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2012, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 30, 2012, 03:29:32 PM
Based on an episode of "I love Lucy" I saw the other day, Americans are still a pretty traditional society.

Not really.  We allow inter-marriage with Cubans :o

Marty should have gone with Leave it to Beaver.

If only I could walk about in pearls. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2012, 03:43:25 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 30, 2012, 03:29:32 PM
Based on an episode of "I love Lucy" I saw the other day, Americans are still a pretty traditional society.

Not really.  We allow inter-marriage with Cubans :o

According to the article, that couldn't have been depicted on American TV until the last 10 years or so.

Interestingly, I Love Lucy was pitched to ABC before it was offered to CBS.  ABC rejected it, not because they thought people would find the idea of Lucy being married to Ricky objectionable, but because they thought that people would find it unrealistic.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 03, 2012, 10:10:51 AM
Interestingly, I Love Lucy was pitched to ABC before it was offered to CBS.  ABC rejected it, not because they thought people would find the idea of Lucy being married to Ricky objectionable, but because they thought that people would find it unrealistic.

Well, they did have separate beds.