News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NOAA to East: Beware of coming 'Frankenstorm

Started by garbon, October 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I typically use between 59th street (which is start of central park) and 34th (as they you start getting distinct neighborhoods like Chelsea). For Lower Manhattan, I'd say 14th street and below.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

That makes sense. I don't know why but I was under the impression that Upper started at 34th street.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Per google, midtown is everything from 14th to the ends of the UES and UWS. Wiki has 31st to 59th street.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2012, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 02, 2012, 01:44:15 PM
Are both Upper Side rich Neighborhoods?

Here's an interactive map but generally yes though depends on how far you're calling the UES and UWS.

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011/dec/08/census-locates-citys-wealthiest-and-poorest-neighborhoods/

Nifty.

QuoteCitywide median is $50,285

Dear Lord.  :bleeding:

garbon

CountDeMoney

Just imagining how one would live on that with the COL up there, s'all.

garbon

Well that map details out where you'd live. You could even do the LES what with its ranges in the 15-30k.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2012, 02:01:18 PM
Just imagining how one would live on that with the COL up there, s'all.
I don't even care about COL, I just can't imagine how you could live there.  The place is packed like sardines.  My blood pressure spikes anytime I have to go there.

Caliga

My parents still don't have power.  They took a shower at the YMCA this morning.  Are they: poors.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on November 02, 2012, 03:39:45 PM
My parents still don't have power.  They took a shower at the YMCA this morning.  Are they: poors.

Power != shower.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

So what was the deal with the non-union electrical workers from Alabama being turned away by union thugs in Joisey?   Was there some sort of strike going on?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2012, 04:46:21 PM
So what was the deal with the non-union electrical workers from Alabama being turned away by union thugs in Joisey?   Was there some sort of strike going on?

I haven't seen the specific story, but that isn't surprising especially for East Cost unions.  They would probably rather let people sit in the dark rather than let scabs take their money for turning the lights back on.

Stuff like that is a big part of why I was reluctant to join the union, but like everything else unions are a lot more mellow out here and there wasn't a lot of choices if I was to stay in the industry.

Ed Anger

Supposedly the IEWU wanted them to abide by union rules, and they told them to get stuffed. ROLL TIDE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Why didn't you break your unions in America?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.