News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Presidential Election!

Started by Kleves, October 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who gets your vote for President of the United States of America?

I'm an American and I vote for Obama - just the man to turn American around after four miserable years
24 (29.6%)
I'm an American and I vote for Romney - his day one job: get ride of Obamacare and then strip America down and sell it for parts
14 (17.3%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Obama - a weak and apologetic America pleases me
30 (37%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Romney - a Mormon in the White House? That will be hilarious!
3 (3.7%)
I am American, and I waste my vote by voting for a third party
6 (7.4%)
I am not an American, but I would vote for Jaron
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 80

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2012, 09:05:46 PM
What?

If it harms both parties they're more likely to cooperate.

The 17th amendment was passed and that was a more radical restructuring of the government and that got passed.

Does it matter, they're just parties not the foundations of democracy.

Hard for you to believe it, what with the two having had a duopoly for so long, but eventually political parties decline, collapse and transform.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on November 04, 2012, 09:11:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2012, 09:05:46 PM
What?

If it harms both parties they're more likely to cooperate.

The 17th amendment was passed and that was a more radical restructuring of the government and that got passed.

Does it matter, they're just parties not the foundations of democracy.

Hard for you to believe it, what with the two having had a duopoly for so long, but eventually political parties decline, collapse and transform.

What does that have to do with anything?

Obviously they're just self interested factions, that's why I think they will get rid of the Electoral College if Romney loses. Because it will be in the interest of both parties to compete for the popular vote.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

I think that Tim is silly.  In your scenario, both parties might have been burned by the EC, but both parties have been helped by it as well.

At any rate, how do you intend to convince the smaller states to end their relevance in the federal government?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

EC allows third parties the possibility of spoiling the election by winning some Electoral Votes and denying a majority. With the advent of Super PACs / unlimited money, third parties will be able to overcome the entrenched institutional advantages of Democrats and Republicans.

Tonitrus

I like the idea of the EC, as it works as a instrument for having federal/state influence on the Executive branch (like the Senate for the Legislative),  but it's not hard to argue that the instrument is flawed, or could use refinement.  And such refinement is not unprecedented, as Senators used to be selected by the State legislatures.

The people chosen as Electors in the EC, and the EC itself could definitely stand to get more attention by media/schools, so that people actually understand its role in our system, instead of just creating "WTFBBQ?" moments after an election, for the few times it does matter.

derspiess

I got seven emails from Ann Romney in the past week. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/11/voting-already-mess-florida/58682/

QuoteThe first election-related federal lawsuit has already been filed in South Florida, where some citizens waited over seven hours to vote early over the weekend. In an area that includes Palm Beach, Miami-Dade and Broward County -- yes, that Broward County -- Florida Democrats scrambled to extend early voting hours over the weekend citing "inadequate polling facilities" in a complaint filed in a Miami federal court on Sunday. "The extraordinarily long lines deterred or prevented voters from waiting to vote," says the lawsuit. "Some voters left the polling sites upon learning of the expected wait, and others refused to line up altogether. These long lines and extreme delays unduly and unjustifiably burdened the right to vote." These three counties are home to 32 percent of the state's Democrats.

So far, local officials haven't seemed too sympathetic to the plight of early voters. In response to Sunday's lawsuit, election supervisors in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties said that they'd allow would-be early voters to pick up and drop off absentee ballots so that they wouldn't have to wait in line. The small concession came after another request for an extension of early voting was denied last Thursday by Republican Governor Rick Scott and state election officials who said that everything was running smoothly. Scott is the same governor who approved a measure last year that reduced Florida's early voting period from 14 to eight days, a crunch that many critics think caused the long lines this year.

It's not even Election Day, yet, but some people are freaking out about the chaotic situation in Florida. "We're looking at an election meltdown that is eerily similar to 2000, minus the hanging chads," Dan Smith, a political science professor at the University of Florida, told The Huffington Post. Smith also warned that attempted to bridge the gap with absentee ballots, as a number of districts across Florida are now doing, would disenfranchise minorities. "Absentee ballots have a much higher rejection rate for minorities and young people, if you look at the Aug. 14 primary." HuffPost's Amanda Terkel adds, "Democrats are traditionally more likely to vote early, which is why many in the party have ascribed political motives to Scott's restriction of the process."

Now, this is not the year 2000. After that election, though, everybody in America knows that Florida can make a big difference in a presidential election. Everybody agrees that Ohio is the state to win, but Florida is still a toss-up with a lot of Electoral College votes. It's also a state that could probably do without another big voting scandal. The Obama campaign, for one, is not going to let Floridians forget about that one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Hey derfetus, you told us you were going to Romney's rally, not Obama's as well.  At least you were released on your own recognizance.

QuoteCINCINNATI – President Obama was interrupted by a heckler during his appearance here, which prompted a two-minute break in his remarks.

The heckler, yelling something incomprehensible about abortion and holding a sign with three photos of fetuses, marked a rare interruption to Obama's stump speech. He would be carried out of the arena by four police officers after they pried his fingers from the bars in front of his seat in the first row of the balcony.

Obama paused his remarks as the crowd drowned the man out while the crowd picked up the familiar a chant of "four year years."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2012, 12:24:06 AM
I got seven emails from Ann Romney in the past week.

They were addressed to "You People".

garbon

I was very confused when I saw those long lines in Florida. Also sounds like many waited till last day of early voting so...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

24 hours until I get to vote. 48 hours until we know who our president is. 72 hours until I won't have to listen to another freaking election commercial for at least a year.

Yay!! :w00t:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2012, 08:07:02 AM
Hey derfetus, you told us you were going to Romney's rally, not Obama's as well.  At least you were released on your own recognizance.

QuoteCINCINNATI – President Obama was interrupted by a heckler during his appearance here, which prompted a two-minute break in his remarks.

The heckler, yelling something incomprehensible about abortion and holding a sign with three photos of fetuses, marked a rare interruption to Obama's stump speech. He would be carried out of the arena by four police officers after they pried his fingers from the bars in front of his seat in the first row of the balcony.

Obama paused his remarks as the crowd drowned the man out while the crowd picked up the familiar a chant of "four year years."

Is "four year years" a familiar chant for Obama supporters?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2012, 08:10:59 AM
Is "four year years" a familiar chant for Obama supporters?

I think one year years are long enough already.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2012, 08:09:44 AM
I was very confused when I saw those long lines in Florida. Also sounds like many waited till last day of early voting so...

The reason so many working-class people do the early voting is because they can't fit regular voting times into their work schedule. So it stands to reason that if the early voting was shortened from 14 days to 8 days that there would only be one weekend in that time, and that's when the majority of those same people would go to the polls. It's not about waiting until the last second. It's about being able to vote on a weekend when they don't have to be at work.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...