News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Presidential Election!

Started by Kleves, October 23, 2012, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who gets your vote for President of the United States of America?

I'm an American and I vote for Obama - just the man to turn American around after four miserable years
24 (29.6%)
I'm an American and I vote for Romney - his day one job: get ride of Obamacare and then strip America down and sell it for parts
14 (17.3%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Obama - a weak and apologetic America pleases me
30 (37%)
I'm not an American, but I would vote for Romney - a Mormon in the White House? That will be hilarious!
3 (3.7%)
I am American, and I waste my vote by voting for a third party
6 (7.4%)
I am not an American, but I would vote for Jaron
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 80

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2012, 06:38:08 PM
Yeah, I know about that law. But that doesn't answer the why.

From my follow-up on the number of physical House chamber seats (and I think that includes the Speaker's podium), the answer is obvious.  They don't want to renovate the sacrosanct Capitol building.  Nor do they want to have to move to RFK stadium.

And really, there is a point where having too many Representatives becomes prohibitive, not only in expenses, but in political impotence.  But is 435 the right number to stop at?  Who knows...they thought it was a good idea in 1911.  And if they want to expand it, it doesn't even require an amendment...just political will.

But the real, probable answer is that enormous districts make it easier for the established political parties to retain control.

Sheilbh

Why do they all need an individual seat?  How often are they all in the Chamber?

There wasn't enough seats in the Commons when it was blown up in the war.  Churchill, being Churchill, ordered that it be rebuilt exactly as it was rather than expanding it to fit the number of MPs.  We now have even more MPs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I'm surprised there's not much mention of the Puerto Rico referendum around. It is happening right?
That stands out to me as something pretty important and newsworthy, a literal redrawing of the map and flag potentially.
The question asked seems pretty stupid though, voting safe and going with no would seem a very sane gamble even for supporters of the other options.

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 05, 2012, 09:06:28 PM
Why do they all need an individual seat?  How often are they all in the Chamber?

There wasn't enough seats in the Commons when it was blown up in the war.  Churchill, being Churchill, ordered that it be rebuilt exactly as it was rather than expanding it to fit the number of MPs.  We now have even more MPs.
Oh Churchill. <_<

Aren't they going to be rennovating it soon (in political terms, i.e. within a few decades)?
Would be nice if they'd change it then.
Though there are moves underway/they have recently, cut the number right?- all the Tory's game to give themselves an advantage IIRC since a lot of their seats are currently large ones whilst a lot of labour ones are small.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I think the Lib Dems are going to vote against shrinking the Commons and the accompanying boundary review (which they initially supported) after the Tories stopped their House of Lords reform bill going though.

Edit:  Also I think keeping the Commons small was a good choice by Churchill.  The fact that they can't fit in is probably a part of what gives it a raucous atmosphere on the big set pieces.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 05, 2012, 08:10:38 PM
From my follow-up on the number of physical House chamber seats (and I think that includes the Speaker's podium), the answer is obvious.  They don't want to renovate the sacrosanct Capitol building.

Bingo.

QuoteAnd really, there is a point where having too many Representatives becomes prohibitive, not only in expenses, but in political impotence.  But is 435 the right number to stop at?  Who knows...they thought it was a good idea in 1911.  And if they want to expand it, it doesn't even require an amendment...just political will.

But the real, probable answer is that enormous districts make it easier for the established political parties to retain control.

Allowing them to redraw their own districts really doesn't help, either. 

jimmy olsen

If that call center thing is true, damn that's sleazy.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Poll-challenges-fake-calls-may-mar-vote-4010990.php

Anyone who falls for it is dumb/ignorant as hell, but still...
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Would CBS be a good choice of election watching if one wanted to follow it? Our national broadcaster has chosen that to stream during the night.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

They're all pretty much the same, the only choice is in the flavor of bullshit one wants to listen to while twiddling thumbs and waiting for the results.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Liep on November 06, 2012, 10:02:12 AM
Would CBS be a good choice of election watching if one wanted to follow it? Our national broadcaster has chosen that to stream during the night.

I will follow languish coverage.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

When do you think this will get called? Pondering if I can afford to stay up or not. States west of MI will be largely irrelevant but I don't know how long the Ohio count will take.

lustindarkness

Obama should get an early lead, until republicans get off work this evening and can go vote.

:)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Quote from: celedhring on November 06, 2012, 01:40:33 PM
When do you think this will get called? Pondering if I can afford to stay up or not. States west of MI will be largely irrelevant but I don't know how long the Ohio count will take.
It depends.  Will: Katherine Harris be involved? :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points