NFL Week 7: Paul Ryan sets Big XII electorate aflame, jeopardizes TX, OK votes

Started by CountDeMoney, October 18, 2012, 08:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Have the players been aged any?

Let's see who remembers that old chestnut.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on October 23, 2012, 06:50:35 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2012, 06:47:39 PM
College players are grown men. Heck, I remember reading last year that Georgia's offensive line averaged 330 lbs. :blink:

There is a pretty big difference between a 330 pound 19-20 year old who has very limited practice and work-out time and a 330 pound 29 year old whose only job is to play football.  We will never know, because it will never happen but, imo, any pro team would physically dominate any destroy and college team.

Since my hypothesis is unprovable you can bite me if you don't agree.

We actually had this debate several years ago on Languish.  I think the consensus was that a CFL team would destroy an NCAA team.

There is no doubt the NFL contains the best 32 football teams in the world.  The thing is, however, that the CFL contains teams #33-40.  Although the pay differential is great, there simply is no other league to go if you are a great football player who doesn't make the NFL.  Even a team like Alabama - it's one of over 100 Division 1 teams.  That doesn't compare with being the 40th best professional team in the world.

The one wildcard some of you may not appreciate is the CFL's non-import rule - a CFLteam must have 20 "non-imports" on their 46 man roster.  And while I love me some CIS Football, it's a hard comparison with the NCAA.  But teams know their best players comes from the US.  Canadians are invariably stuck as O-linemen, a few D-linemen, and a few backup positions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on October 24, 2012, 12:30:46 AM
There is no doubt the NFL contains the best 32 football teams in the world.  The thing is, however, that the CFL contains teams #33-40.  Although the pay differential is great, there simply is no other league to go if you are a great football player who doesn't make the NFL.  Even a team like Alabama - it's one of over 100 Division 1 teams.  That doesn't compare with being the 40th best professional team in the world.

Problem with that is that they're not only teams 33-40, but just about every player on their rosters couldn't get on teams 1-32, or at least not anymore. And how many of those 100 schools are legitimately competing with Alabama for the best recruits?

The CFL team *might* win, due to the extra years of weight training and experience its players have had. But they're not gonna have the raw talent of the top NCAA teams.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2012, 12:44:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 24, 2012, 12:30:46 AM

Problem with that is that they're not only teams 33-40, but just about every player on their rosters couldn't get on teams 1-32, or at least not anymore. And how many of those 100 schools are legitimately competing with Alabama for the best recruits?

The CFL team *might* win, due to the extra years of weight training and experience its players have had. But they're not gonna have the raw talent of the top NCAA teams.

If you're a top NCAA graduate, and you don't get an NFL job, where do you go?

You either go to the CFL, or you leave football.

There are 100+ Division I teams that are graduating 20+ people per year.  The large majority of which do not get on with the NFL.  So even the CFL, with it's NFL rejects, has the pick of the litter so to speak.

How many top NCAA teams are there?  20?  30?  Still once the NFL picks them over there's plenty of room for the CFL to thrive.

By the way... the CFL's Ottawa franchise has been removed from conditional to unconditional.  The CFL returns to 9 teams in 2014 (and thank the Maker - the Blue Bombers can go back to the West).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.