OK, one of the goofiest opinion pieces in a while: give kiddies the vote!

Started by CountDeMoney, October 19, 2012, 06:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 06:07:33 AM
If anything, as derspiess demonstrates, married women should not be allowed to vote, as they too often vote the way their husbands tell them.

:yeahright:

He and his wife are the exception, in my experience. Certainly not the rule.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

If anything, as derspiess demonstrates, married women should not be allowed to vote, as they too often vote the way their husbands tell them.

That's only because Ders's home is a 1950's cliche.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2012, 06:30:31 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 06:05:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2012, 06:22:16 AM
A democratic process only Jerry Sandusky and Martinus could endorse.

Why the fuck would I endorse giving more political power to breeders? Are you fucking insane?

Your hatred of breeders is exceeded only by your sympathies for adolescent assbanging.

This is silly - I never express a desire for adolescents. My target range is mid-20s.

celedhring

The notion that somebody could have more votes the more children he/she has is... interesting to put it mildly. The movie Idiocracy comes to mind.

Anyway, the 18 legal age has always been a convention. It's not like people become magically more knowledgeable when at their 18th birthday compared to their 17th. And it's not like there aren't plenty of much older people who aren't much better. I think it works as long as we just accept it as it is, an arbitrary decision to save us from the slippery slope of deciding "objectively" who is equipped to cast a vote or not.

Incidentally my voting when I was 18th was completely influenced by my parents. It's only in my 20s when my political opinions started to sort of become my own.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 22, 2012, 06:30:31 AM
Your hatred of breeders is exceeded only by your sympathies for adolescent assbanging.

This is silly - I never express a desire for adolescents. My target range is mid-20s.

Your moral ambivalence in defending kiddie fuckers is well known here.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: celedhring on October 22, 2012, 11:03:05 AM
Anyway, the 18 legal age has always been a convention. It's not like people become magically more knowledgeable when at their 18th birthday compared to their 17th. And it's not like there aren't plenty of much older people who aren't much better. I think it works as long as we just accept it as it is, an arbitrary decision to save us from the slippery slope of deciding "objectively" who is equipped to cast a vote or not.

I think it kinda is like that actually. It's not that precise, of course. But I do seem to remember seeing some stats about brain development that suggested people don't attain full reasoning capacity until shortly after that age.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 22, 2012, 11:12:40 AM

I think it kinda is like that actually. It's not that precise, of course. But I do seem to remember seeing some stats about brain development that suggested people don't attain full reasoning capacity until shortly after that age.

Not until 24-26 years of age. I'm counting down on my eldest two boys. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 22, 2012, 11:57:34 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 22, 2012, 11:12:40 AM

Not until 24-26 years of age. I'm counting down on my eldest two boys. :glare:

Yay at almost 27, I'm hopefully there!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Yeah I've always said 25 is the age when people finally have their head out of their ass on a permanent basis.

EDIT:  Most people that is.

crazy canuck

:huh:

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2012, 03:07:06 PM

:huh:

I think the :huh: smiley is redundant with Marti.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Raising the age is silly.
Even if young people aren't yet mentally developed and all that sort of thing they still have equal rights.
Would be pretty mad for a 24 year old to be able to have had an 8 year carreer in the army but still not be able to vote.

QuoteIf anything, as derspiess demonstrates, married women should not be allowed to vote, as they too often vote the way their husbands tell them.
In my experience the opposite is more often true.

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2012, 10:33:36 AM

:ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

If your hypothetical 24-year old is in the army, he has no business voting anyways.  Unless maybe he's a hereditary peer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2012, 02:11:36 PM
Yeah I've always said 25 is the age when people finally have their head out of their ass on a permanent basis.

I'm 31, and still haven't gotten my head out of there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2012, 08:25:13 PM
Quote from: sbr on October 22, 2012, 02:11:36 PM

I'm 31, and still haven't gotten my head out of there.

I'd trust you over most euro languishites
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive