News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

4-day school week gains momentum

Started by jimmy olsen, March 13, 2009, 04:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 07:30:02 AM
Why not just cancel school altogether?  The only school that American kids actually need is on Sunday anyways.

As Mono pointed out, we need someone to babysit them.  And it feels better not to personally write out the checks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Seems decent to me from an education point of view.  Extend the school day so they end up in class the same amount of hours, who cares if it is only 4 days a week?

Of course  the same economic conditions that make this move necessary will also make it hard to parents to pay for whatever activity their kids are going to be doing on that Friday.  Tough break.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2009, 08:05:13 AM
On second thought, I think it's a smart move. The shorter the kids are exposed to the likes of Tim and grumbler, the better for their development.

Mart it is the same length of time, just in larger chunks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 10:14:10 AM
As Mono pointed out, we need someone to babysit them.  And it feels better not to personally write out the checks.

You know in Austin I got taught Calculus, Physics, Organic Chemistry, Differential Equations, European History and other subjects at a level that I felt was equal to, if not superior to, what I experienced in College.  And my state is one of the worst in the nation.  Somehow I felt it was a better use of my time than just being babysat but maybe that is just me.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2009, 10:27:12 AM
Seems decent to me from an education point of view.  Extend the school day so they end up in class the same amount of hours, who cares if it is only 4 days a week?

Yeah, because kids will really pay attention that whole time.  Just like how I'd be much more productive if I worked 4, 10 hour days a week... ::)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2009, 10:35:09 AM
You know in Austin I got taught Calculus, Physics, Organic Chemistry, Differential Equations, European History and other subjects at a level that I felt was equal to, if not superior to, what I experienced in College.  And my state is one of the worst in the nation.  Somehow I felt it was a better use of my time than just being babysat but maybe that is just me.

Well, I didn't go to a ghetto college, so I wouldn't know about that.

Crazy_Ivan80

seems like a recipe for disaster to shorting the time to learn ever increasing amounts of stuff in.

Archy

How I would have welcomed it when I was young  :-\

But my years of university often was something like 4-day school often even less. 8)

DisturbedPervert

Of course  the same economic conditions that make this move necessary will also make it hard to parents to pay for whatever activity their kids are going to be doing on that Friday.

I suppose they'll have to settle for crack instead of E.

saskganesh

beer and sex are always affordable. growth industries right now in fact.
humans were created in their own image

vinraith

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 12:03:53 PM

Yeah, because kids will really pay attention that whole time.  Just like how I'd be much more productive if I worked 4, 10 hour days a week... ::)

Yup. Some people around here clearly don't remember their sixth period classes in high school.

Evil Spock

Good idea, American kids can fall even further behind core skills development as opposed to Asians and Europeans.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: vinraith on March 13, 2009, 02:02:14 PM
Yup. Some people around here clearly don't remember their sixth period classes in high school.

I remember it.  That was the one I skipped.  It was amazing how many times I had to go pick up relatives at the airport...

MadImmortalMan

Man, I work ten hours a day most of the time anyway. A four day week would rock.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 13, 2009, 02:15:36 PM
Man, I work ten hours a day most of the time anyway. A four day week would rock.
This.