Probably the biggest turn we ever made was when the women got the right to vote.

Started by viper37, October 15, 2012, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2012, 04:15:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 04:09:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2012, 03:53:27 PM
Not really.  You were right the first time.  They involve money.  Only one of the three actually was about "spending".  It's not really clear how the New Health care law would affect fiscal responsibility in 2010.  So no, most of the Tea Party people weren't not interested in fiscal responsibility in any real concrete sense.  They would like a balanced budget cause that sounds good (especially when it involves tax cuts!), but have only the vaguest idea how that might happen.  They don't want to cut social security, or medicare, or defense.  This makes up the lion's share of the budget.  Mostly they want to cute "Waste", or foreign aid.

Dps said that such is what they are about - not that they have concrete/great proposals of how to get there.

I guess we could also say they are for "peace", and "goodness", and "motherhood", "and not being a zombie" as well, and other vague ideas.  In other words they are for nothing.

Thanks for reminded me why I generally steer clear. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on October 16, 2012, 01:43:32 PM
Arguments about health care insurance aside, I think Meri is still missing the point that the Tea Party movement is basically about fiscally responsible government

Odd then that they want to gut revenues.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson