News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civ IV: Colonization

Started by Admiral Yi, October 15, 2012, 08:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

With the new computer and all I finally had enough juice to run this game.

Someone mentioned earlier that it's a stinker, but I'm having good fun with it.  Like obsessive, get no sleep kind of fun.  Does have a tendency to freeze.  Constantly.

Unlike CIV II, which I played the fuck out of, the majority of the work in this game is wagoning your goods from city to city so you can build stuff and manufacture stuff.

Not really sure about the economics of the game.  I've settled a continent, producing like a madman, and by 1700 I've only saved enough cash to buy one ship of the line.

I have enough rebellion points to declare independence, but I figure why not keep growing, since I don't have to win until 1792.

Any ossum tips anyone feels like giving, feel free.

Viking

Don't produce liberty bells until you are ready to declare independence. Producing bells produces REF. The best way to win the game is to Zerg Rush the other colonies once you got a strike force.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

REF?  Rear echelon fuckups?  Roi enrage et furious?

Dunno bout your zerg rush strategy: AI seems to pick really dud spots for its colonies.  2 wheat, 2 sugars.

BVN

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2012, 08:42:34 AM

Dunno bout your zerg rush strategy: AI seems to pick really dud spots for its colonies.  2 wheat, 2 sugars.

REF= your kings expeditionary force

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2012, 08:42:34 AM

you take the city and empty it for people and leave the colony to be wiped out by injuns. Do it correctly then the other powers are reduced to a caravel and pecuniary demands from the king.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Get that German mod from civfanatics, whatitsname. Awesome, much, much, much, much better than vanilla

Admiral Yi

Puff: how the hell do you use the money you earn?

BTW, does everyone agree the graphics are gorgeous?

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on October 15, 2012, 09:31:09 AM
Get that German mod from civfanatics, whatitsname. Awesome, much, much, much, much better than vanilla

which one?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=333

Admiral Yi

What, if any, are the downsides to pissing off your king?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

They really liked clothes that made their asses look big in those days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 15, 2012, 09:38:31 AM
Puff: how the hell do you use the money you earn?

BTW, does everyone agree the graphics are gorgeous?

I greatly prefer the graphics of the original Colonization.  Aesthetics aside, they were much more functional.

Admiral Yi

Major insight on about my third keeper game: the bottleneck is tools.  :smarty:

Pioneers can transform just about any hellhole into Westchester County relatively quickly.

I think the graphics are totally ossum.  Dragoons riding around the pampas give me wood.

It *seems* the downside to pissing off the king is more frequent tax increases (?).

I looked through the player's guide and the "civilopedia" but could find no mention of differntial rates of education in native villages, however it seems indentured servants and maybe petty criminals get a speed bonus.  Can anyone corraborate this?

Viking

Tools are not too difficult, but then again I find some silver and treasure to fund advance building blacksmiths shops and set import export 150 tools for all towns and a that point I can just ignore it. From that point on the game is about avoiding war and keeping injuns happy.