Britain has alien-war weapons, says former government adviser

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2012, 10:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

this just doesn't explain why britain has to go to the americans for fighters, helecopters and missiles.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 04:33:48 AM
this just doesn't explain why britain has to go to the americans for fighters, helecopters and missiles.

It doesn't need to, because the answer is obvious--their economy was so brutalized by 2 world wars and the loss of the Empire that it can no longer support enough advanced R&D to be at the top of the technology game, nor the industrial capacity to support large-scale military procurement.

Viking

Quote from: dps on October 15, 2012, 05:23:30 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 04:33:48 AM

It doesn't need to, because the answer is obvious--their economy was so brutalized by 2 world wars and the loss of the Empire that it can no longer support enough advanced R&D to be at the top of the technology game, nor the industrial capacity to support large-scale military procurement.

How does this fit with the problem of explaining access to alien technology while still being unable to produce advanced weapons?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 05:37:28 AM
How does this fit with the problem of explaining access to alien technology while still being unable to produce advanced weapons?

Are you suggesting they have a spaceship but are having trouble reverse engineering it? :area52:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 05:42:09 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 05:37:28 AM

Are you suggesting they have a spaceship but are having trouble reverse engineering it? :area52:

The article suggests they have reverse engineered it. I'm saying the facts on the ground suggest that they don't have a space ship. The article is stupid.

Eddie Teach

Huh, my reading was that the ship landed and took off and left radiation behind to show it was there.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 05:46:19 AM
Huh, my reading was that the ship landed and took off and left radiation behind to show it was there.

QuoteMr Pope said: "We do have several prototype aircraft and drones and other weapons you won't see on the news for another 10-15 years so if we did face a threat from the unknown then even if there is no Torchwood around now, there would be something like it by then and they certainly would have some great kit to help in the fight."

that's what I was referring to.

Eddie Teach

That just sounds like terrestrial weapons still in development.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 05:51:16 AM
That just sounds like terrestrial weapons still in development.

Which makes spending billions of pounds on funding american weapons development pretty pointless.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 05:52:45 AM
Which makes spending billions of pounds on funding american weapons development pretty pointless.

Gives Americans more incentive to let British scribes in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on October 14, 2012, 11:53:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2012, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2012, 10:49:47 PM
If someone controls the orbitals they can just drop rocks on cities until the natives give up.

You're assuming the concept of space vehicles would have the capacity for naval gunfire supp  WAIT WTF AM I ARGUING WITH YOU OVER THIS YOU ASSCLOWN

I think the more pertinent question is "Why are you losing?" :lol: Tim is right.

"Boots on the ground"?  What are the aliens here for in your version?  Is it a peacekeeping operation?  Did the interstellar sanctions on Earth fail?

I don't buy the premise that intergalactic warfare would involve "orbital dominance", let alone space vehicle-based weaponry or moving asteroids.

Destroying planets for the sake of destroying them is so Dick Cheney.  You invade, you take resources by force, you take their women to space-rape them with your tentacles, you move to another planet. 

Destroying it does not meet your intergalactic needs.

You all watch too much stupid television.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 06:00:20 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 15, 2012, 05:52:45 AM

Gives Americans more incentive to let British scribes in.

its not so much scribes, but accountants

CountDeMoney

I don't even know why they're discussing this topic with the Brits;  they don't possess weapons systems to deal with Argentina, let alone aliens.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 06:11:06 AM
I don't even know why they're discussing this topic with the Brits;  they don't possess weapons systems to deal with Argentina, let alone aliens.

We live in a strange world where acquiring the capability to flatten Buenos Aries is easier and cheaper than acquiring the capability to retake the Falklands.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 15, 2012, 06:03:50 AM
I don't buy the premise that intergalactic warfare would involve "orbital dominance", let alone space vehicle-based weaponry or moving asteroids.

Destroying planets for the sake of destroying them is so Dick Cheney.  You invade, you take resources by force, you take their women to space-rape them with your tentacles, you move to another planet. 

Destroying it does not meet your intergalactic needs.

You all watch too much stupid television.

I think you're going too far the other direction, they'd almost certainly want to flatten a few cities to soften resistance. But yeah, the objective is to control the planet, not just to kill humans.