News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iran mulls plans for deliberate Gulf oil spill

Started by jimmy olsen, October 14, 2012, 09:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

This sounds crazy, even for Iran. I'm skeptical.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4292013,00.html

Report: Iran mulls plans for deliberate Gulf oil spill

Der Spiegel says Tehran is harboring secret plan to induce massive environmental disaster in Persian Gulf in order to force West to sponsor cleanup, suspend sanctions

AFP
Published:    10.14.12, 15:35 / Israel Environment

Iran's Revolutionary Guards have developed plans to damage an oil tanker in the Persian Gulf  to create an environmental disaster, German magazine Spiegel reported on Sunday.

Citing Western intelligence sources, the weekly said the top-secret plan, codenamed "Dirty Water", is aimed at blocking the oil-rich Gulf to shipping and forcing Western countries to become involved in a huge cleanup operation.

Der Spiegel said the Revolutionary Guards believe this in turn would prompt Western nations to suspend sanctions imposed over Iran's nuclear program which have started to hit the economy hard this year.

The plan, developed by the head of the Guards, General Mohammad Ali Jafari, and Admiral Ali Fadavi, head of the force's navy division, would also "punish" Arab states around the Gulf for their support of the West and Israel, the report said.

A clean-up operation could only take place with Iranian technical help, requiring a temporary lifting of sanctions, the plan says, according to Spiegel.

Jafari and Fadavi have passed the plan to Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who would have the final say on whether to implement it, Spiegel said.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quotethe top-secret plan, codenamed "Dirty Water"

Oh, those wily Iranians.  Such subterfuge.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2012, 09:11:27 PM
The plan, developed by the head of the Guards, General Mohammad Ali Jafari, and Admiral Ali Fadavi, head of the force's navy division, would also "punish" Arab states around the Gulf for their support of the West and Israel, the report said.

:wacko:

Though this kind of story makes me lean more towards the Republican positions of "MOAR DRILLING" and "KEYSTONE PIPELINE NAO!"  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 05:22:58 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 14, 2012, 09:11:27 PM

:wacko:

Though this kind of story makes me lean more towards the Republican positions of "MOAR DRILLING" and "KEYSTONE PIPELINE NAO!"  :hmm:

Well, combined with the Republican position of rolling back regulations and eliminating the EPA, you won't have to worry about the Iranians starting oil spill here;  the oil companies will be able to do that on their own.

Viking

This fits in with my understanding of iranian posing. Threatening to blow it's own brains out as a threat because we don't want to clean up the brain matter afterwards. Spiegel, despite it's Springer associations, is a serious news source. This might be an equivalent of Churchill's Baltic Scheme or Habbakuk as a crazy scheme proposed by somebody important that gets quashed as soon as the Iranian equivalent of Alan Brooke tells him why it will be dangerous, expensive and won't work.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

Iranian agent Timmay Spammeister, continues his paid spoiling activities on pro-democracy web forums, operation 'Muddy Languish Waters'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"