European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on October 11, 2012, 01:55:14 PMI would love to respond, but in total sincerity, I have no interest in a debate about whether or not the US intervention in Vietnam was more or less "Imperialist" than its intervention in, say, Korea.

Okay, no worries  :hug:

QuoteThere was not "imperialist" in any meaningful sense of the word in the US intervention in Vietnam, Korea, Greece, etc., etc., etc. They are all much better catergorized as cold war proxy conflicts, not "wars of imperium".

I'm happy with the term "cold war proxy conflict".

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on October 11, 2012, 02:00:35 PMJust asking ...   :(

Here you go:

QuoteYou have a situation where a rich, powerful country A sends military and political advisors to one faction in country B to ensure that they prevail. A also funnels significant money to friendly elites in B, conducts significant intelligence and covert operations in B, and think nothing of discarding and replacing the elites they fund if there's disagreement, up to and including encouraging the violent overthrow of recalcitrant former clients (not to mention opposition in country B). If things go sideways, country A is perfectly willing to push for their preferred outcome by using their clearly superior military.

DGuller

Oh, my.  You'd think this was a Viking/grumbler debate. :bleeding:

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on October 11, 2012, 03:07:15 PM

Why do you have to resort to personal attacks?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2012, 03:10:55 PM

Why do you have to resort to personal attacks?
On the contrary, this is a very impersonal attack.  I'm attacking the whole lot of you as a group.

Viking

This sentence confuses me since I do not debate grumbler.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Actually, I think it's been one of our better recent discussions.

Valmy

Really I am rather enjoying watching this one.  The nature of Imperialism and Empires in the 21st century is something that interests me.  Surely nobody today would build the sort of old School Empire we have had for centuries.  But perhaps with international institutions and mass communications and so forth you do not have to.  You can get the benefits without the burden of maintenance.  But really that cannot really be called an Empire so perhaps it is something else entirely.  I see 'heremony' and the like thrown around sometimes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 11, 2012, 03:51:17 PM

Actually, I think it's been one of our better recent discussions.

And I started it. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017