And we're back!

Main Menu

The Rumble in Columbus: Veeps Attack!

Started by merithyn, October 10, 2012, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 09:37:41 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2012, 09:36:48 PM
I caught the last 20 minutes or so.  My impression - Biden was the class of the field. 

I have to agree. Ryan seemed largely out of his league.

Gotta give the kid credit, though, he hung in there even when he was getting a little lost.  Thing was, he went after the debate like it was a House Committee session, a lot of fiscal references that may have gone over Johnny Six Pack's head.

I think Joe won, but it wasn't a KO in the 4th, it was on points.

mongers

Some of the BBC correspondents are calling it a draw, though one said whilst it was a draw between them, Ryan neither harmed nor helped Romney, whereas Biden did help the Obama.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

I enjoyed this:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/eloquent-biden-brings-entire-audience-to-tears-in,29887/

For myself I love Biden and his style, but I thought that was generally a brilliant performance.  He's running in 2016 and I will try and illegally donate :lol:

Ryan was good and got stronger.  I think he was a bit flummoxed on foreign policy, especially the first two questions.  I also think he was initially disconcerted by Biden's performance (possibly Biden being decent and foreign policy to begin with weren't helpful for Ryan).  By the end I think he was more into it, more confident and coherent and quite charming - if a bit callow. 

His biggest problem was that he's trying to sell a campaign that has complaints but very few actual promises and the one's it does have are simply incredible (a revenue neutral 20% tax cut :blink:).  If Romney loses, with four more years experience, I think Ryan'll make a formidable primary candidate in 2016 - but hopefully so will Rubio, Christie, Jindal etc :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Kleves

I thought Biden started strong, and Ryan looked a bit lost. Ryan seemed to get more comfortable as things went on, and Biden seemed to get creepier. I would call it about a draw.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

mongers

On reflection, in a way this debate might have made it harder for Obama, because it sets it up for next debate, Obama really does have to come out fighting like this VP did.

Can he do it or are we going to see the academic, the professor ? 

CountDeMoney

I think Ryan shored up his base just fine, but didn't move the needle for undecideds like Romney may have.  It was a very Republican performance.

Biden hit Medicare and the abortion issue out of the fucking park, and that could mean votes in Colorado and Florida.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2012, 09:42:53 PM
For myself I love Biden and his style, but I thought that was generally a brilliant performance.  He's running in 2016 and I will try and illegally donate :lol:

Oh definitely not as in I shudder to think of him actually winning a presidency in 2016.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2012, 09:45:10 PM

Seedy! You going to call mongers out for being racist?!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 09:45:25 PM
Biden hit Medicare and the abortion issue out of the fucking park, and that could mean votes in Colorado and Florida.

I'm not sure about that. It was on point sure, but didn't seem emotionally moving.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 09:46:58 PM

He's not an American.  Don't care.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 09:47:45 PM

He's not an American.  Don't care.

:lol:

mongers

:blink:

How is that racist ? 

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2012, 09:49:20 PM

:blink:

How is that racist ? 

Seedy said earlier today that the only people who talk about Obama's academic qualifications are those that are shocked a black person [clearly my term and not one that Seedy would use] can speak so eloquently.

Sheilbh

I hate the line about Obama being professorial. I don't get that vibe at all.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2012, 09:54:19 PM
I hate the line about Obama being professorial. I don't get that vibe at all.

But he's so articulate and well-spoken.