News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Slammer on Screen

Started by Eddie Teach, October 10, 2012, 11:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which prison movie/tv show do you like best?

Cool Hand Luke
3 (11.1%)
Shawshank Redemption
8 (29.6%)
The Green Mile
1 (3.7%)
Ernest Goes to Jail
2 (7.4%)
Oz
3 (11.1%)
Prison Break
3 (11.1%)
The Prisoner
3 (11.1%)
FFS, how could you leave off _____?
4 (14.8%)
Not Another Prison Movie
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Eddie Teach

Convicts only, no POWs or concentration camps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Going to have to think about that one, especially between Cool Hand Luke and Shawshank

There are others out there too, like
Murder In The First
Bad Boys
Escape From Alcatraz
American Me *shudder*
Midnight Express
and Papillon

:P

Although, I think Denzel Washington's The Hurricane was fantastic, even though it was maybe 75% slammer screen time.

Eddie Teach

DGuller

Any movie with a realistic depiction of female gang showers is fine by me.

Eddie Teach

Well excuse me for thinking of the movie with 90000 votes cast on IMDB instead of the one with 7000 which isn't even the best known prison film starring Sean Penn. <_<

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on October 10, 2012, 11:20:13 AM
Any movie with a realistic depiction of female gang showers is fine by me.

Hmmm, maybe I could have added Lady Vengeance. But really no, it's not a prison movie, just a movie with prison scenes.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Cool Hand Luke,  Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile are great films. Hard to choose just one.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

PRC

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 10, 2012, 11:25:31 AM
Well excuse me for thinking of the movie with 90000 votes cast on IMDB instead of the one with 7000 which isn't even the best known prison film starring Sean Penn. <_<

:P  Dude, it's a classic.

mongers

How about two John Frankenheimer films, 'Birdman of Alcatraz' and 'Against the Wall' (story of Attica prison riot with Samuel L.Jackson) ?

Heh, he even did a third prison film 'Andersonville', but since that was about the ACW camp, I guess it doesn't count.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Slight edge to Cool Hand Luke over Papillon.  Midnight Express gets an honorable mention.