SC Case Over White Student Who Claims Race Cost Her Admission to UT

Started by garbon, October 09, 2012, 11:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 04:45:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2012, 04:28:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 02:12:29 PMSure but for how long do current/future non-ethnic students have to get handicapped by that?

This is classic garbo stuff. You made it through with affirmative action in your favour, time to slam that door behind you :lol:

Actually I never thought it was particularly fair when I was doing it either - but why would I turn down a handout? :cool:

Heh.  I can relate to that.  Back when I was in college, full-time college students could still get a Social Security survivor's check through age 21.  I always had felt that wasn't a proper use of Social Security funds, but did I turn down the money?  Heck, no.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2012, 05:03:01 PM
Yeah Latinas are wonderful when they take care of themselves.  They dress wonderfully to.  I dated some when I was dating but the ones I dated were completely nutty people.

Comes with the territory. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2012, 04:28:05 PM
One of the most impressive things to me about Austin was the presence of non fat Mexican chicks.

Yeah Latinas are wonderful when they take care of themselves.  They dress wonderfully to.  I dated some when I was dating but the ones I dated were completely nutty people.

:wub: wonderful squared, but all let down by one word.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2012, 05:53:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2012, 04:28:05 PM
One of the most impressive things to me about Austin was the presence of non fat Mexican chicks.

:wub: wonderful squared, but all let down by one word.  :(

It's true, unfortunately. 
And the worse part is you're not only dating a nutty Latino chick, but you're dating her entire nutty family straight from the get-go.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 08:02:37 PM
And the worse part is you're not only dating a nutty Latino chick, but you're dating her entire nutty family straight from the get-go.

Helps to have them on another continent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 11, 2012, 08:05:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 08:02:37 PM

Helps to have them on another continent.

lol, yeah, you lucked out: not everybody's so lucky.  My friend wound up meeting his girl's two brothers, sister and Mom before the first date.  High maintenance Peruvians.

Ed Anger

I bet the food was good at least. In between all the screaming.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on October 11, 2012, 05:11:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 04:45:36 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2012, 04:28:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 11, 2012, 02:12:29 PMSure but for how long do current/future non-ethnic students have to get handicapped by that?

This is classic garbo stuff. You made it through with affirmative action in your favour, time to slam that door behind you :lol:

Actually I never thought it was particularly fair when I was doing it either - but why would I turn down a handout? :cool:

Heh.  I can relate to that.  Back when I was in college, full-time college students could still get a Social Security survivor's check through age 21.  I always had felt that wasn't a proper use of Social Security funds, but did I turn down the money?  Heck, no.

Whereas I've never availed myself of direct government assistance. Funny world. :P

(Unless you count IBR, but that's really recent and arguably doesn't count, since I accidentally double-paid my student loan bills this month, the first month my reduced payment kicked in. :grr: )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Affirmitive action is a crazy and broken idea.
The only discrimination should be wealth based, not race.
██████
██████
██████

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Kleves

Looks like the Court kinda-sorta upheld affirmative action in this case. They reversed the lower court in this case, but only for an incorrect application of the standard required. However, they may have done so only because the issue of reversing an earlier decision allowing affirmative action wasn't squarely before them (at least Scalia said that this was the only reason that he did not vote to reverse the earlier case - and Thomas in a concurrence said that he would also overrule the earlier case). It's possible that the Court's formulation of the "correct" standard may make affirmative action programs more difficult, but it looks like they're not per se invalid.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.