Mittens unveils his foreign policy vision today

Started by CountDeMoney, October 08, 2012, 05:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

At the risk of stating the obvious, one of these guys gets daily security briefings, and the other doesn't.  Makes one wonder what Romney knows that Obama doesn't, and how.

Conclusion: baseless pandering to the military ops-happy Republican base.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 08, 2012, 12:09:47 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, one of these guys gets daily security briefings, and the other doesn't.  Makes one wonder what Romney knows that Obama doesn't, and how.

Conclusion: baseless pandering to the military ops-happy Republican base.

Mittens and Ryan have been getting daily security briefings since the week before the convention;  maybe not to the level of the POTUS, but all candidates get them once they receive the nomination.

Still doesn't stop him from talking out of his ass, though.

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 08, 2012, 12:09:47 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, one of these guys gets daily security briefings, and the other doesn't.
I think you've done well to mitigate that risk.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on October 08, 2012, 09:46:03 AM
Am I missing it? How does he suggest that we show our strength? Is he talking about more troops in the Middle East? If so, how do we pay for that and balance the budget?

The only thing to do is to try to extract out the concretes from the speech, i.e. actual proposals as opposed to rhetoric.  Here's what I get:

+ "Restore the permanent presence of aircraft carrier task forces in both the Eastern Mediterranean and the Gulf region" - there are a couple of carrier strike groups in the Gulf region now.  Don't know what "permanent presence" means.  My understanding is that basing facilities in the region are limited. 

+"roll back" defense cuts - extent and method of payment not stated.

+ "Build 15 ships per year, including three submarines" - presumably included in above.  -  This proposal appears to come from John Lehman (now a Romney defense advisor).  For comparison the plan for 2013 is 2 subs and 8 surface ships of various types, for a total of 10.  The five year plan is rougly 2 subs per year and 7 other ships per year.  The merits are difficult to evaluate without some insight into the specific additional ships proposed.

+ "Organize all assistance efforts in the greater Middle East under one official with responsibility and accountability"  -- i.e. he will appoint a regional czar with a brief to coordinate aid programs.  Not a bad idea in theory although in practice may just add another layer of bureaucracy and provoke conflicts.

+ Egypt: aid to be conditioned  on the new government maintaining  its peace treaty with Israel.  -- this is already policy.

+ Syria: arm the Sunni opposition

+ Afganistan - same policy as current administration

What is interesting about these proposals is not their merits (which may be good although at this point mostly unclear), but their modesty in terms of originality and boldness compared to the rhetoric that accompanies them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2012, 01:06:58 PM
What is interesting about these proposals is not their merits (which may be good although at this point mostly unclear), but their modesty in terms of originality and boldness compared to the rhetoric that accompanies them.

I think there's a campaign going on or something :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 08, 2012, 09:46:03 AM
Am I missing it? How does he suggest that we show our strength? Is he talking about more troops in the Middle East? If so, how do we pay for that and balance the budget?

+ "Build 15 ships per year, including three submarines" - presumably included in above.  -  This proposal appears to come from John Lehman (now a Romney defense advisor).  For comparison the plan for 2013 is 2 subs and 8 surface ships of various types, for a total of 10.  The five year plan is rougly 2 subs per year and 7 other ships per year.  The merits are difficult to evaluate without some insight into the specific additional ships proposed.

Are even the rest of the world's navies combined building more than that number of ''quality' ships a year ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2012, 02:22:05 PM
Are even the rest of the world's navies combined building more than that number of ''quality' ships a year ?

But you don't understand;  the size of our Navy is at levels not seen since 1916.  My God, and to make things worse, all the battle wagons are lined up at Pearl, just waiting for the Japanese.  So, it's like 1916 and 1941 all together.

QuoteAnd I will call on our NATO allies to keep the greatest military alliance in history strong by honoring their commitment to each devote 2 percent of their GDP to security spending. Today, only 3 of the 28 NATO nations meet this benchmark.

You do that, Mittens.  Call on them.  See what they say about that.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 02:25:43 PM
You do that, Mittens.  Call on them.  See what they say about that.

What do you think he is building that huge battle fleet for?  Gunboat diplomacy to be used on Euros.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 02:25:43 PM

But you don't understand;  the size of our Navy is at levels not seen since 1916.  My God, and to make things worse, all the battle wagons are lined up at Pearl, just waiting for the Japanese.  So, it's like 1916 and 1941 all together.

The number 15 must have done well in focus groups.  Like Obama's 100,000 math & science teachers (which btw I guess social studies teachers can bugger off :angry: ).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Numbers of ships aren't important.  What is important is that the Navy have a good idea of who they are supposed to be fighting and how they'll be fighting them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2012, 02:58:12 PM
Numbers of ships aren't important.  What is important is that the Navy have a good idea of who they are supposed to be fighting and how they'll be fighting them.

yeah, dreadnoughts are useless against hajis in the deserts and mountains.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on October 08, 2012, 02:59:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on October 08, 2012, 02:58:12 PM
yeah, dreadnoughts are useless against hajis in the deserts and mountains.
That's not really the Navy's fight, except in the sense that they provide carrier support.  The Navy's job is to prepare to defeat China.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 02:07:52 PM

I think there's a campaign going on or something :P

IMO its a good thing.  Shows he isn't tempted into advocating something really stupid just to win the election.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 02:54:21 PM
The number 15 must have done well in focus groups.  Like Obama's 100,000 math & science teachers (which btw I guess social studies teachers can bugger off :angry: ).

Don't know why that would get a :angry: from you;  falls right in line with the GOP's desire in reducing civic participation.  :P

The Minsky Moment

China is building pretty fast, although that raises the question of how you define "quality ship"
--Joan Robinson