European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 04:24:49 AM
Then why don't they complain about Allied involvement in WWII?  You have conscripts and firebombing there as well.

Heh.  People do complain about that.  The same sort of stuff though: firebombing cities and using the Atomic Bomb.  We are big meanies when we fight wars.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

mongers

Noble ? :blink:

Seems a daft descriptor for an ill thought out, open-end commitment to a corrupt failing state, that cost a treasury's worth of imperial gold.

Oh and it gave the US's two principle rivals at the time the opportunity to slowly bleed the US and divide the country domestically, to little cost to themselves.

Wasn't there an old adage about not engaging in land wars on the Asian mainland ?

I wonder if in a few years Iraq will also be described as a 'Noble' war ?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 08, 2012, 10:40:58 AM

It was described that way at the outset, man.  DEMOCRACY FOR SHIAS

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Seems a daft descriptor for an ill thought out, open-end commitment to a corrupt failing state, that cost a treasury's worth of imperial gold.

Yes.  Where would you live?  An imperfect, corrupt western-friendly state where you at least have some freedoms or an oppressive communist reg... oh wait, don't answer that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 10:55:20 AM
Yes.  Where would you live?  An imperfect, corrupt western-friendly state where you at least have some freedoms or an oppressive communist reg... oh wait, don't answer that.

I think that sorta depended on whether you were Catholic Vietnamese or not.

Jacob

I expect that about 95% of Europeans' ideas about the Vietnam war is based on American popular media - all the films, the music, the counter culture, and even the impact on American politics. All that may be filtered through 5% worth of local prejudice, but mostly it's just regurgitation of American introspection; no one cares about the Vietnam war.

I haven't seen the picture Raz talked about in the OP, but is there anything to indicate that it reflects European views of the Vietnam war?

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 11:00:23 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 10:55:20 AM

I think that sorta depended on whether you were Catholic Vietnamese or not.

Or if you wanted to be reeducated or not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Oh and it gave the US's two principle rivals at the time the opportunity to slowly bleed the US and divide the country domestically, to little cost to themselves.

Wasn't there an old adage about not engaging in land wars on the Asian mainland ?

It was a corrupt state that was failing because it was being invaded by another state.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

I believe there were major protests in Europe at the time, so people obviously had an opinion of it.  There was also the Russell Tribunal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Tribunal and Bertrand Russell and Jean-Paul Sartre were rather important intellectuals in Europe at the time.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2012, 12:04:10 PM
I believe there were major protests in Europe at the time, so people obviously had an opinion of it.  There was also the Russell Tribunal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Tribunal and Bertrand Russell and Jean-Paul Sartre were rather important intellectuals in Europe at the time.

The Euros here have been answering the question about what they think about it now and already said that the usual leftist suspects at the time were opposed.  So I am not sure what this stunning relevation is supposed to prove.

Berkut

I think the point here is that someone was comparing US involvement in Vietnam to Auschwitz.

No matter what your view on Vietnam, I am not sure how you could actually compare those two as being of a kind that makes any comparison valid in any way at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned