European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 10, 2012, 07:27:32 PM
Yeah, I got that part.

My question was what you'd call it, and whether you thought it worthwhile to distinguishing it from using influence that does not involve military advisors, covert operation, funding of domestic political factions, the imposition of a client regime and the other things we're accepting, for the sake of argument, the US carried out in Vietnam (and other countries have carried out elsewhere)?

Why do we need to call it anything at all?

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 10, 2012, 07:27:42 PM
What's your definition of subject state Yi?

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2012, 07:23:10 PM
Didn't Ho already declare a state before that?
My understanding was that he declared the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and was head of North Vietnam after Geneva, but that he rejected Diem's plebiscite and never declared a state of North Vietnam.

Wait, run that by me again.  He declared the Democratic Republic of Vietnam but didn't declare a state of North Vietnam?  I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me are disagreeing with me.  Or both.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I got that part.

My question was what you'd call it, and whether you thought it worthwhile to distinguishing it from using influence that does not involve military advisors, covert operation, funding of domestic political factions, the imposition of a client regime and the other things we're accepting, for the sake of argument, the US carried out in Vietnam (and other countries have carried out elsewhere)?

realpolitik?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
Yeah, I got that part.

Because we *must* use a single controversial word to describe it!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 10, 2012, 07:27:42 PM
What's your definition of subject state Yi?

A tentative definition is a state that faces the possibility of military punishment for going against the wishes of the overlord.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
Yeah, I got that part.

Same reason we give anything a specific word, to distinguish it from similar object or phenomena, in this case imperialism.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2012, 02:30:37 PM
@ Malthus, do you think there is such a thing as economic imperialism without physical occupation?

I suppose so. Though this has nothing to do with Vietnam.

Quote@ Berkut, imperialism is a touchy subject for Americans becuase their founding myth is of fighting against it.  But if you look at the actions of the US around the world particularly South and Central America and the role the US played in bringing the Shah to power in Iran in order to protect US commercian interests it is hard to think of a different word.

But if you can suggest one that would be great.

Again, whatever the US did in Iran or central America, of all the wars fought, Vietnam is the *least* "imperialist". In central America presumably the US was interfering to promote commercial interests (hence "banana republic") and in Iran for oil; all the US got from Vietnam was a bunch of ethnic Chinese boat people ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Yeah, I was thinking that if this is empire, then we are doing it fucking backwards.  They are suppose to give stuff to us, not the other way around.

I think the discussion of the deficiencies in South Vietnam and the US relationship with it misses a major point.  South Vietnam was being invaded by North Vietnam which was an extremely murderous and oppressive state.  I think defending a people from a state that put something like a million people in forced labor camps and killed hundreds of thousands of people is a worthy goal.  Perhaps doing this is "Imperialism", in the mind of Europeans.  I don't know.  If it is, then I suppose Imperialism is not such a bad thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2012, 08:47:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2012, 02:30:37 PM
@ Malthus, do you think there is such a thing as economic imperialism without physical occupation?

I suppose so. Though this has nothing to do with Vietnam.

Quote@ Berkut, imperialism is a touchy subject for Americans becuase their founding myth is of fighting against it.  But if you look at the actions of the US around the world particularly South and Central America and the role the US played in bringing the Shah to power in Iran in order to protect US commercian interests it is hard to think of a different word.

But if you can suggest one that would be great.

Again, whatever the US did in Iran or central America, of all the wars fought, Vietnam is the *least* "imperialist". In central America presumably the US was interfering to promote commercial interests (hence "banana republic") and in Iran for oil; all the US got from Vietnam was a bunch of ethnic Chinese boat people ...

In California, we ended up with many more fabulous donut shops.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2012, 09:10:58 PM

Imperialism for donuts? That's the sort of imperialism that would appeal to Canadians ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2012, 09:17:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2012, 09:10:58 PM

Imperialism for donuts? That's the sort of imperialism that would appeal to Canadians ...  :hmm:

No blood for Timbits! California's are all locally owned and operated. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2012, 07:43:06 PMWhy do we need to call it anything at all?

Because it was one of the defining features if not of the 20th Century, then at least of the Cold War.

Because we're interested in history and politics, and a precise vocabulary enhances our ability to discuss and understand.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 10, 2012, 08:06:47 PMMy question was what you'd call it, and whether you thought it worthwhile to distinguishing it from using influence that does not involve military
Because we *must* use a single controversial word to describe it!

Quit whining. It's unbecoming.