And we're back!

Main Menu

Renewable energy - Thoughts?

Started by merithyn, October 04, 2012, 01:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 09:26:59 AM
Yeah that was what I was thinking...a really long cable  :lol:

Of course it would have to pass through the sun a few times a year.

You could build a giant space-hand to raise it up those times, like when the vacuum goes under the line.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Phillip V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 09:17:03 AM
The mid-range projections for natural gas are too profitable right now; so why bother with a 50 year energy solution when you can make so much more money in the next 5?
Natural gas is a 50 year energy solution. :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on October 08, 2012, 09:34:21 AM
You could build a giant space-hand to raise it up those times, like when the vacuum goes under the line.

I was trying to think a way of using Mars as a couch leg to keep it out of the way, but I don't think that would work.  :lol:

lustindarkness

Big giant hamster wheels, have the unemployed fatties lose weight on them or lose their welfare; and keep our prison populations healthy. That combined with wind, solar, hydro, gas, nuke, coal, etc.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on October 08, 2012, 09:40:50 AM
The mid-range projections for natural gas are too profitable right now; so why bother with a 50 year energy solution when you can make so much more money in the next 5?

If wind/solar become cheaper than gas it is. Or if we all get Mr. Fusions next to the water heater in the garage.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on October 08, 2012, 09:40:50 AM

Natural gas is a nonrenewable fuel source.  Nuclear power is not.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
Is that really true?  Do we really have an unlimited (or practically unlimited) source of nuclear fuel?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2012, 11:31:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 08, 2012, 11:19:29 AM
Is that really true?  Do we really have an unlimited (or practically unlimited) source of nuclear fuel?

It is certainly much more renewable, and on a substantially much longer timeline, than fossil fuels that are subject to immediate depletion.

frunk

The elephant in the room for solar and wind is cheap, effective and efficient mass energy storage.  Right now there isn't a good way to smooth out the surges in production from wind and solar, or at least coordinate them with demand surges.  One of the reasons hydro is so much better for the electrical grid is that dams are a cheap and easy (once the dam is built) way to store energy for specific times.

Batteries are way too expensive at this scale, and most other mechanical or chemical mass storage methods suffer in efficiency.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on October 08, 2012, 12:01:48 PM
The elephant in the room for solar and wind is cheap, effective and efficient mass energy storage.

It is not really an elephant in the room.  I think anybody who knows anything about energy knows about this problem.  Though usually in connection to things like electric cars than solar and wind.  With regards to solar and wind people talk about 'Smart Grids' instead.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on October 08, 2012, 12:07:35 PM

It is not really an elephant in the room.  I think anybody who knows anything about energy knows about this problem.  Though usually in connection to things like electric cars than solar and wind.  With regards to solar and wind people talk about 'Smart Grids' instead.

It is when people blindly say we need more renewable energy without considering the additional infrastructure costs that are going to have to be expended.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on October 08, 2012, 09:22:57 AM
That's my biggest beef with corporate thinking in general in the modern era. It used to be that long-term thinking (like 50-75 years out) was the norm. Now "long-term" for corporations is 5 years max. I honestly believe that that's a huge part of why we're such a throw-away economy anymore, and why we use so much more in natural resources than we need.

:huh:  Can you give me one or two examples of corporations thinking 50-75 years out?

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2012, 01:10:41 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 08, 2012, 09:22:57 AM
That's my biggest beef with corporate thinking in general in the modern era. It used to be that long-term thinking (like 50-75 years out) was the norm. Now "long-term" for corporations is 5 years max. I honestly believe that that's a huge part of why we're such a throw-away economy anymore, and why we use so much more in natural resources than we need.

:huh:  Can you give me one or two examples of corporations thinking 50-75 years out?

Last year conoco-phillips announced a 5 billion dollar program to extend the life of the Ekofisk field

til 2050. While this was 39 years when it was announced, but they have been projecting the plans for 10 years now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

A rising tide? Are we gonna drown in it?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?