News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

DGuller; vindicated. The horrible news at 11

Started by jimmy olsen, October 05, 2012, 05:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

I wouldn't be too proud of yourself:

Quotethe smart know where to go to reinforce their biases. That is, they're far better at motivated reasoning, and become progressively more polarized and ideological.

This is basically saying that people who are smarter than average are good at knowing how to shit their brain off once they find something that appeals to them, and simply regurgitate the words of the talking heads they identify as their stand in for independent thought.

So I guess it means maybe if you are slightly smarter than the average person who doesn't think about politics enough to form an allegiance, you end up firmly ensconced in your chosen tribe, bleating their chosen mantra back at the opposing tribe members.

Those who are significantly smarter than that realize that substituting one sides "expert" opinion for their own ability to think objectively is hardly an improvement over the average masses who don't think at all about it - and it may very well be considerably worse.

No question it is a far cry in utility from being smart enough to reject the tribalism inherent in "smart liberals trust Paul Krugman, and smart conservatives trust Greg Mankiw."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on October 05, 2012, 09:00:13 AM
people who are smarter than average are good at knowing how to shit their brain off

^_^
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2012, 09:17:02 AM
:hmm:  I think I'll go with Tim's analysis.

Of course you will - that is *exactly* what the article predicted you would do - forgo thinking about it objectively in favor of deferring to an "expert" you recognize as vastly smarter than yourself!

:P

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on October 05, 2012, 09:52:01 AM
Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2012, 09:17:02 AM
:hmm:  I think I'll go with Tim's analysis.

Of course you will - that is *exactly* what the article predicted you would do - forgo thinking about it objectively in favor of deferring to an "expert" you recognize as vastly smarter than yourself!

:P
Woo! :yeah:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I think the study confuses "moderates" and "independents". Considering that most big tent parties' platforms tend to be a hodge podge of incoherent ideas, I would say that, if the study is right, smart persons would tend to be more extreme about their ideas, but unlikely to support the platform of a party in its entirety, thus more likely to be either independent or supporting a "one issue" party (such as libertarians).

Edit: Before various grumblers latch on it - of course libertarians are not a one issue party, per se, but they are a party that does not try to take a view on every aspect of the polity, but rather focus on one aspect of it. This is opposed to big tent parties which usually have comprehensive (you could say "totalitarian") platforms. "One issue" parties are more ideologically pure as a result, whereas big tent parties attempt to marry various interest groups or reflect a historical alliance that may be ideologically contradictory.

Berkut

Meh, the real response here is not nearly as much fun as trying to use it to mock each other.

The reality is, I am sure, that more intelligent people tend to be more partisan than the average simply because the average is overall pretty much clueless about political issues altogether, and hence "independent" or "moderate".

I don't think that follows for people who are politically aware/active, and yet still remain non-partisan/independent.

0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

I thought this thread was going to be about somebody dying of blueberry poisoning.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017