News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Caliga - Need your help with brewing question

Started by merithyn, September 27, 2012, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I don't think I've seen grumbler post in the last month. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

He's been logging on.

Unlike so many Languishites, after so many years there's only so much to say anymore.

Octavian

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 29, 2012, 05:31:24 AM
I don't think I've seen grumbler post in the last month. :unsure:

He recently posted in the Skyrim thread.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Scipio

Quote from: merithyn on October 28, 2012, 11:24:38 PM
Today, Max and I bottled two cases of the Papazian beer, a gallon of Hard Cider, and a half-gallon of Spiced Hard Cider. I've got two gallons of Mugwort Mead in the hopper, and I'll be brewing up a five-gallon batch of Spiced Cranberry Mead later this week. Oh! And I made a half-gallon of Cranberry Vodka Cordial, too.

The beer smells like beer, so I must have done something right. I'll know in two weeks. Question: How long will the beer be good? There's no way that I'll drink two cases of beer before next spring. Will it last that long? (It's stored in a cool, dark place.)

The next beer I make is going to be a gruit, probably 14th Century Gruit Ale or Bog Myrtle Ale. Anyone tried a gruit before? It'll be a first for me. I've heard that gruits are a bit more bitter than the average modern beers, but that's a good thing so far as I'm concerned.

I've got the book both of those recipes come from, and I'm kind of reading through it to see if there aren't any other interesting recipes to try, too. These are all whole-grain brewing, which kind of scares me a bit, but I figure why not give them a shot and see what happens.
Your beer will likely not make it to the spring intact.  Keeping it cool and dark will help, but a 4.5% beer with that little hop character is going to 1) lose all of its hops, and 2) lose body.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

merithyn

Quote from: Scipio on October 29, 2012, 12:46:43 PM
Your beer will likely not make it to the spring intact.  Keeping it cool and dark will help, but a 4.5% beer with that little hop character is going to 1) lose all of its hops, and 2) lose body.

Okie doke. Party time!!  :punk:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Hand them out to everyone you know and watch their faces as they awkwardly tell you it tastes 'awesome'.

At least that's what I do :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 01:38:39 PM
Hand them out to everyone you know and watch their faces as they awkwardly tell you it tastes 'awesome'.

I've always wanted to try making beer, until I remember how not awesome every home made beer I've ever tried was.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2012, 01:42:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 29, 2012, 01:38:39 PM

I've always wanted to try making beer, until I remember how not awesome every home made beer I've ever tried was.

The sad thing is that I'm surrounded by brewers who all make amazing beer. Mine is so going to suck comparatively. :blush:

Scipio

Both of those beer recipes come from a time before hops.  No one really knows what gruitfrecht was, so most modern approximations are a huge guess.  As Randy Mosher says, I've tried a few gruitfrecht beers, and I've come to the conclusion that either modern tastes have evolved, or the recipe is missing something.

http://www.amazon.com/Tasting-Beer-Insiders-Worlds-Greatest/dp/1603420894
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

merithyn

Quote from: Scipio on October 30, 2012, 12:54:42 PM
Both of those beer recipes come from a time before hops.  No one really knows what gruitfrecht was, so most modern approximations are a huge guess.  As Randy Mosher says, I've tried a few gruitfrecht beers, and I've come to the conclusion that either modern tastes have evolved, or the recipe is missing something.

http://www.amazon.com/Tasting-Beer-Insiders-Worlds-Greatest/dp/1603420894

Yeah. I have a number of books on brewing pre-hops (English Ale pre-1500). Some have period recipes, but most are approximations since the recipes were closely guarded guild and/or family secrets. But that's why I want to try to make one. I'd like to see how they taste.

merithyn

I popped open the first one today. It's freaking amazing! I wasn't sure if it would have much of a head, but it appears to be just fine. And it tastes fantastic!! :mmm:

CountDeMoney

Looks like a collection of my urine samples for Georgetown Hospital.

My head was bigger, too.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 10, 2012, 07:17:13 PM
Looks like a collection of my urine samples for Georgetown Hospital.

My head was bigger, too.

Or those urine jugs I had to use in the hospital.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

PDH

Nice looking.  If they are peeing stuff that looks like that they will be passing those kidney stones soon.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM