News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 02:02:26 PM
Does she tell you how much dose you get from the X-rays?
"Let's sievert those boobs, baby!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2013, 09:33:16 AM
Would you be happy with a similar apology from Germany?

"Wars of conquest are terrible things.  Ours was too.

Many times in history people have been singled out for prosecution.  That's awful, and we feel bad about being one of the many countries that did this."

Or persecution even.

For the war itself that would be a fine apology.
For the non-war related nasty actions seperate apologies are needed.

No matter how shitty you think Japan's apologies have been however, there's a long way between the commonly presented image of Japan thinking they did nothing wrong, rewriting history and not apologising at all (what I was replying to), and Japan just doing a bad job of apologising.
For the record I would agree they should do more.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Commonly presented by whom Squeeze?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2013, 09:04:01 PM
Commonly presented by whom Squeeze?
China, Korea, uninformed people around the world.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I have an alternate theory.  Instead of everyone else being wrong, maybe Tyr is wrong.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2013, 10:03:08 PM
I have an alternate theory.  Instead of everyone else being wrong, maybe Tyr is wrong.
:lmfao:
This makes absolutely no sense. It's a matter of public record that various Japanese figures have apologised many times in the past.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on December 23, 2013, 11:28:46 PM
This makes absolutely no sense. It's a matter of public record that various Japanese figures have apologised many times in the past.

When you make an apology, it is kinda important to have the feelings of the people being apologised to in mind.  I think China and Korea have reasonable grounds to consider that the "apologies" in question are not sincere enough.  For one, the wording of such apologies is lame.  For another, various Japanese figures, ministers included, have contradicted those apologies by statements to the effect of "we didn't do it." It really isn't that difficult to make a sincere, thorough apology instead of a half-assed one. 

Neil

In other words, if anybody in Japan is ever elected who doesn't weep and gnash his teeth when Chinese and Korean nationalists complain about Japanese history, Japan's apologies are insincere?

Fuck China.  The Japanese should have exterminated them all.  The world would be a much better place with a billion fewer of those assholes in it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I understand that it makes no sense to you that you could possibly be wrong.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on December 23, 2013, 11:55:48 PM
In other words, if anybody in Japan is ever elected who doesn't weep and gnash his teeth when Chinese and Korean nationalists complain about Japanese history, Japan's apologies are insincere?

Not just anybody, but the Prime Minister

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/26/22056272-backlash-at-japan-after-pm-shinzo-abe-visits-controversial-war-shrine?lite
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I see the shrine thing as quite different from the apology and text book things.

Monoriu

Imagine Angela Merkel visiting a religious site that honours guys like Goring and Himmler.  I know it is a calculated move designed to give a giant middle finger that says "we do as we please."  But other people have the right to be pissed too.

Admiral Yi

The Vietnam War Memorial lists the name of every single American KIA and MIA.  It's not a leap to assume that at least one of them committed a war crime.  Yet a person paying their respects is not honoring war crime.

Josquius

The shrine issue is an interesting one. I used to think it was an example of japan refusing to admit guilt, worshipping war criminals and all the other usual stuff one hears about it.
I did some research though... And a pm going there actually makes a fair bit of sense. It's a shrine for all those who died for japan, which yes, includes several war criminals... But if those war criminals were removed then it would be akin to saying they didn't die for japan and japan doesn't admit any guilt over their crimes.
It's a bit of a no win situation for japan really.

QuoteWhen you make an apology, it is kinda important to have the feelings of the people being apologised to in mind.  I think China and Korea have reasonable grounds to consider that the "apologies" in question are not sincere enough.  For one, the wording of such apologies is lame.  For another, various Japanese figures, ministers included, have contradicted those apologies by statements to the effect of "we didn't do it." It really isn't that difficult to make a sincere, thorough apology instead of a half-assed one.
My point is the apologies do exist. Yet it's presented that they don't. The apologies also come from far more senior figures than the various examples of idiocy that occasionally pop up.

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2013, 03:31:06 PM

I understand that it makes no sense to you that you could possibly be wrong.
Not when I'm speaking in simple facts no.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2013, 07:27:43 AM
My point is the apologies do exist. Yet it's presented that they don't.

Not by those here.  You're arguing in a vacuum.