News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Why are they talking about warship weaponry ranges by referencing the guns?  If guided missile cruisers and guided missile destroyers start fighting, I would rather imagine that they'll use guided missiles.

Still, hopefully the Chinese carrier sinks with massive loss of life.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Turns out the carrier really does float.  Any news on whether planes can talk off and land from its deck?

Admiral Yi

Any threads on Paradox condemning the US for sailing into Chinese waters?  :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2013, 12:49:12 PM
Turns out the carrier really does float.  Any news on whether planes can talk off and land from its deck?

They've spent a shitload of time and money to get those shitty J-15s to get it off the deck.  Twice.  No landing attempts yet, I believe.

derspiess

They oughtta try some old Yak-38s.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Honest question, because I don't know the answer:

What would the USN do if the roles were reversed?  That is a PLA ship is approaching a US carrier in international waters, not listening to requests to turn around?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2013, 01:10:14 PM

What would the USN do if the roles were reversed?  That is a PLA ship is approaching a US carrier in international waters, not listening to requests to turn around?

Depends. Is the US open for business that day or not?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

This is the big problem with Chinese crisis management in the rush :  they have no real operational experience in the cat-and-mouse bullshit that goes on on the high seas.  The USN has decades of experience dancing with the Russians, and it's reflected in everything from JO training to operational guidelines.  They don't sweat this stuff.  Inexperienced Chinese officers under immense political pressure to "do the right thing", though?  That's when things go wrong.

Admiral Yi

Soviets ships used to tail carrier groups all the time.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2013, 01:36:38 PM

This is the big problem with Chinese crisis management in the rush :  they have no real operational experience in the cat-and-mouse bullshit that goes on on the high seas.  The USN has decades of experience dancing with the Russians, and it's reflected in everything from JO training to operational guidelines.  They don't sweat this stuff.  Inexperienced Chinese officers under immense political pressure to "do the right thing", though?  That's when things go wrong.

Good point.  Hadnt thought of it that way.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 13, 2013, 02:47:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2013, 01:36:38 PM

Good point.  Hadnt thought of it that way.

Neither did the J-8 pilot that got his ass splashed in 2001.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2013, 02:58:19 PM
Neither did the J-8 pilot that got his ass splashed in 2001.

Did we ever send his insurance company a bill for repairs?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

As others have noted, this happened all the time.  The other ship has to heed the Law of the Sea when maneuvering around a task force (lest it run afoul of the Law of gross Tonnage), but the standard way of dealing with unwanted pickets was just to speed up.  Those AGIs couldn't maintain any kind of speed, nor can their US counterparts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Hopefully this sort of thing will get Japan to arm with atomic weapons.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

If any of you care about Chinese rumours and the attempts to read the tea leaves, the Epoch Times has a pretty good summary of events thus far; albeit with the usual heavy focus on Falun Gong - http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/393118-reporting-zhou-yongkang-s-arrest-a-primer-on-the-power-struggle-in-beijing/