News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Yes.  Words matter in international politics.

The Brain

Trying to come across as playing chicken using civilian passengers isn't an obvious choice. Safety first.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on November 30, 2013, 03:28:01 AM
Trying to come across as playing chicken using civilian passengers isn't an obvious choice. Safety first.

That would be a reasonable response if my proposed alternative were to forbid US airlines to identify themselves.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2013, 03:32:32 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 30, 2013, 03:28:01 AM

That would be a reasonable response if my proposed alternative were to forbid US airlines to identify themselves.

No. Think again.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2013, 03:27:01 AM
Yes.  Words matter in international politics.
But what's the advantage? Everyone would still find out the US blinked and they'd look weasely about it too?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2013, 03:16:08 AM
"Is it true that the Obama administration has advised US airlines to announce their presence to the Chinese government upon entering China's newly-declared Air Defense Identification Zone?"

"The position of the US is that airplanes transiting the area described have no obligation to communicate their identity and flight plan to the Chinese government."

I don't know if it's "blinking" as much as it is your usual "abundance of caution" for civilian carriers to protect themselves as much as possible.

If some hot shot Commie pinko slope pilot with a raging nationalist hard-on bumps a wing and brings down a United flight--because we all know how disciplined PLA pilots are when it comes to cat-and-mouse Cold War games in the sky--the impeachment proceedings against the POTUS would begin the next business day for failing to protect civilian aircraft by informing carriers exactly how dangerous the airspace actually was.

OBAMA LIED UNITED FLIED PEOPLE DIED

See, it's a story that practically writes itself.

Tonitrus

If such a retreat really happened, it should be all over Foxnews by now. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

The Chinese toned down the rhetoric in their statements of the 27th, so they get a treat in return.  Like Yi said, words matter.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2013, 08:38:55 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2013, 03:16:08 AM
"Is it true that the Obama administration has advised US airlines to announce their presence to the Chinese government upon entering China's newly-declared Air Defense Identification Zone?"

"The position of the US is that airplanes transiting the area described have no obligation to communicate their identity and flight plan to the Chinese government."

I don't know if it's "blinking" as much as it is your usual "abundance of caution" for civilian carriers to protect themselves as much as possible.

If some hot shot Commie pinko slope pilot with a raging nationalist hard-on bumps a wing and brings down a United flight--because we all know how disciplined PLA pilots are when it comes to cat-and-mouse Cold War games in the sky--the impeachment proceedings against the POTUS would begin the next business day for failing to protect civilian aircraft by informing carriers exactly how dangerous the airspace actually was.

OBAMA LIED UNITED FLIED PEOPLE DIED

See, it's a story that practically writes itself.
I think CdM is pretty much right here.  There are no limits to Republican perfidy.  But the Chinese are even worse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on November 30, 2013, 01:43:50 PMThere are no limits to Republican perfidy.  But the Chinese are even worse.

So Chinese perfidity is even limitlesser? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2013, 08:38:55 AM

Because, of course, no one at United ever watches CNN.

CountDeMoney

Hopefully not while they're piloting a transoceanic flight.

CountDeMoney

QuoteNational Zoo's 100-day-old baby panda cub named Bao Bao
Panda cub to be unveiled to public in Jan. 2014

By Wei Choot Yu Diyown
4:07 PM EST, December 1, 2013

The National Zoo's adorable baby giant panda cub got a really appropriate name today.

The 100-day-old female cub was dubbed "Bao Bao," which means "precious" or "treasure" in Mandarin Chinese.

Bao Bao is the second surviving panda cub to be born in the U.S. since China gave two pandas to the National Zoo as a state gift in 1972 after a visit by President Richard Nixon and his wife.

More than 123,000 votes were cast in an online contest to choose the panda's name.

The other names, Ling Hua (ling-HWA), Long Yun (long-YOON), Mulan (moo-LAHN) and Zhen Bao (jen-BAO), were contributed by Chinese Ambassador Cui Tiankai, U.S. ambassador to China Gary Locke, the China Conservation and Research Center, the National Zoo.

The winning name Bao Bao was submitted by Friends of the National Zoo, a fundraising group for the zoo.

The naming took place during a ceremony led by Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough, Ambassador Cui Tiankai from the People's Republic of China and Assistant Secretary Kerri-Ann Jones from the U.S. Department of State, with messages from First Lady Michelle Obama and Chinese First Lady Peng Liyuan.

Bao Bao has yet to be presented to the public. Her mother Mei Xiang (may-SHONG) has been nursing her since her birth on Aug. 23, and her official unveiling will take place in Jan. 2014.

Ed Anger

Bao Bao to be ground up for penis pills next week.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

China Has Begun Asserting Ownership of Thousands of Shipwrecks in the South China Sea

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304470504579164873258159410