News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 26, 2012, 03:06:22 PM
Malthus told me that one was the wife. I should have known better than to trust a lawyer.

Hey, I was mislead by inept photo labelling.  :(

Evidently the challenge is this: to convince her you are a woman, while convincing him you are a man.

Sounds like the premise of a short-lived sitcom.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 25, 2012, 10:34:49 AM
In the meanwhile, Taiwan has decided to jump into the fray:

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-trades-words-china-water-taiwan-133522693--finance.html;_ylt=A2KLOzErzWFQtCAAZaDQtDMD

Japanese and Taiwanese ships shot water cannon at each other Tuesday in the latest confrontation over tiny islands in the East China Sea, as Japan met with another rival, China, in an effort to tamp down tensions.

About 40 Taiwanese fishing boats and 12 patrol boats entered waters near the islands on Tuesday morning, briefly triggering an exchange of water cannon fire with Japanese coast guard ships. Coast guard officials said the Taiwanese vessels had ignored warnings to get out of their territory, and the Taiwanese ships pulled back after being fired upon. (...)

Taiwan has always been a claimant.  In fact, both Taiwan and Mainland China agree that the islands belong to Taiwan.

Syt

Quote from: BVN on September 26, 2012, 02:26:46 AM
The title of the article says it all...  :x

http://www.infowars.com/man-crushed-by-road-flattening-truck-on-orders-of-chinese-officials/

If this is a valid story, that guy earnes the posthumous Arthur P. Dent Memorial Plaque.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Bo Xilai to face criminal charges: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19755035

This puts a pretty serious obstacle in the path of any comeback.

Tonitrus

He definitely crossed the wrong commissar.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2012, 11:15:14 AM
Bo Xilai to face criminal charges: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19755035

This puts a pretty serious obstacle in the path of any comeback.

What's worse: criminal charges, or purged from the Party?  Both are practically a death sentence.

Razgovory

True, but it's hard to feel sorry for some communist asshole.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

QuoteUS blocks Chinese firm's investment in wind farms
California wind farm, file picture A foreign business deal has not been blocked in the US since 1990

President Barack Obama has stopped a Chinese company from building wind turbines in the US state of Oregon, citing national security concerns, his administration said.

Ralls Corp, a private Chinese firm, had acquired four wind farm projects near a US naval facility earlier this year.

This is the first foreign investment to be blocked in the US for 22 years.

It comes as the US lodged a trade dispute against China just weeks ahead of November's presidential election.

The move forces Ralls Corp to divest its stake in the projects, which were located near restricted airspace used by the military base.

The president's order came after an investigation into the wind farms by the US Committee on Foreign Investments (CFIUS) said there was no way to mitigate the national security risks posed by the Chinese company's plans.

The White House order said: "There is credible evidence that leads me to believe that Ralls Corporation... might take action that threatens to impair the national security of the United States."

The order also targeted Sany Group, the company that makes the turbine generators.

The military has said it uses the Oregon base to test unmanned drones and other equipment for electronic warfare. The aircraft fly as low as 200ft (60m) at speeds of as much as 300mph (500km/h).

Correspondents say the development could disgruntle China, whose trade advantage over the US has become a focus of Mr Obama's battle for re-election against Republican contender Mitt Romney.

Mr Romney has repeatedly accused the president of being too lenient with what he has called China's unfair trade practices.

Earlier this week, the Romney campaign released a video claiming that China is stealing American ideas and jobs, and accusing Mr Obama of doing little to stop it.

Mr Romney has said that on his first day in office he would use an executive order to label Beijing a currency manipulator.

The Obama campaign has in turn claimed that Mr Romney outsourced jobs to China during his time as a private equity chief.

Meanwhile, on the campaign trail, Mr Obama has highlighted his record with China, reminding voters that he filed more trade cases against Beijing in one administration than his predecessor, George W Bush, did in two terms.

This month, the Obama administration filed a complaint with the World Trade Organization against Chinese subsidies for its car industry.

The Obama campaign has also criticised Mr Romney for investing in Chinese firms.

Ed Anger

QuoteCorrespondents say the development could disgruntle China,

They'll get over it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2012, 06:35:51 PMWhat's worse: criminal charges, or purged from the Party?  Both are practically a death sentence.

As I understand it, the purge from the party is a prerequisite for the criminal charges.

So the purge is probably worse, because if he wasn't purged he wouldn't face the charges.

Neil

Who cares if China owns stake in wind farms?  What's the point of shutting down the deal?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2012, 08:11:32 PM
Who cares if China owns stake in wind farms?  What's the point of shutting down the deal?

No Chinks or anybody else foreign allowed anywhere near a US naval facility.

Keeping them as far away from possible from the power grid is just a bonus.

Neil

They already have all your military secrets, courtesy of traitorous Israel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2012, 08:23:52 PM
They already have all your military secrets, courtesy of traitorous Israel.

Let's just pretend there's some they don't have, mmmkay?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2012, 07:35:57 PM
QuoteCorrespondents say the development could disgruntle China,

They'll get over it.

Hopefully some smooth-talking diplomat will gruntle them right back.