News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on February 10, 2024, 02:45:23 PMHaving a strategic food reserve makes sense.
Though pork? That doesn't exactly keep well.
Canned pork can keep for a while.

HVC

The Asian fascination with spam truly is remarkable. I'll keep my maple syrup  :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

The European Union used to have a "butter mountain" and still has a "wine lake", both due to overproduction.

HVC

US Had cheese hordes (MB beloved government cheese) from diary subsidies over production. Not sure if they still do.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josquius

In other China news this whole messi in Hong Kong thing is amazing

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68261461.amp

Inter Miami had a friendly in HK during which Messi didn't play due to injury....
Prompting massive anger and people demanding their money back.
A little later Miami had a friendly in Japan during which Messi had recovered a little and did appear.... Which made it a severe national insult in China.  :lmfao:
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on February 11, 2024, 11:04:37 AMIn other China news this whole messi in Hong Kong thing is amazing

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68261461.amp

Inter Miami had a friendly in HK during which Messi didn't play due to injury....
Prompting massive anger and people demanding their money back.
A little later Miami had a friendly in Japan during which Messi had recovered a little and did appear.... Which made it a severe national insult in China.  :lmfao:

Small penis syndrome: everything's an insult...

HVC

Didn't something similar happen in Korea with Ronaldo a few years back?

Tickets were sold on the advertising, so I get angry ticket holders. National outrage is dumb though.

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2024, 04:20:00 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 10, 2024, 02:45:23 PMHaving a strategic food reserve makes sense.
Though pork? That doesn't exactly keep well.
Canned pork can keep for a while.

SPAM!

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on February 11, 2024, 04:20:59 AMThe Asian fascination with spam truly is remarkable. I'll keep my maple syrup  :D

I think most of those nations went through one or more periods of serious privation or straight up famine where spam ended up being "attainable and nutritionally valuable culinary luxury in the context of the time."

DGuller

Soviet war veterans loved Spam from lend lease.  It may not seem like a desirable food during peacetime in the West, but during the war it must've been a top delicacy. 

Even in the time of my childhood canned pork was was something you looked forward to eating.  In fact, I still have a soft spot for it and buy it occasionally during my trips to the Russian food store, even though I know it's super unhealthy and not really anything special by the Western food standards.

Josquius

I never really ate spam but pek is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

Spam does seem to have a big military link in Asia - in Japan okinawan restaurants always have lots of spam dishes.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 11, 2024, 01:43:33 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 11, 2024, 04:20:59 AMThe Asian fascination with spam truly is remarkable. I'll keep my maple syrup  :D

I think most of those nations went through one or more periods of serious privation or straight up famine where spam ended up being "attainable and nutritionally valuable culinary luxury in the context of the time."
Also isn't it most popular in Korea, Okinawa and the Philippines, so has a lot to do with American troops, the Cold War and America's forward Pacific positions.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2024, 03:44:43 PMAlso isn't it most popular in Korea, Okinawa and the Philippines, so has a lot to do with American troops, the Cold War and America's forward Pacific positions.

It certainly has a pretty solid place in China also. I can't speak to how it compares, though.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on February 11, 2024, 02:05:29 PMSoviet war veterans loved Spam from lend lease.  It may not seem like a desirable food during peacetime in the West, but during the war it must've been a top delicacy. 

Even in the time of my childhood canned pork was was something you looked forward to eating.  In fact, I still have a soft spot for it and buy it occasionally during my trips to the Russian food store, even though I know it's super unhealthy and not really anything special by the Western food standards.
Everyone seems to have liked Spam, except US soldiers, who despised it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 11, 2024, 03:44:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 11, 2024, 01:43:33 PM

Also isn't it most popular in Korea, Okinawa and the Philippines, so has a lot to do with American troops, the Cold War and America's forward Pacific positions.

That's why I stipulated Asian :P but yeah, I assume it's an American army thing mainly.