News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Holy fuck, Xi's ridiculous...

As you may know, Lunar New Year - aka Chinese New Year - is one of the biggest holidays in China. It's basically like Christmas is in the West in terms of family and emotional impact.

The holiday starts on on New Years eve and goes on for another 10 days.

So it turns out that the word for New Years Eve is a homonym for "eliminate Xi"... and as of this year, New Years Eve is no longer a public holiday in China.

What a fucking cretin.

HVC

Sounds like a premise for an article from the Chinese version of the onion.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 08, 2024, 02:04:16 PMI agree and it is diminishing - but for all the comparisons with Japan in 1989, I think that's a really big difference. The gap between China and a highly developed country is still quite large and there is still space to "catch up" - acknowledging that there are diminishing returns.

But the question is whether they will converge or fall into a middle income trap.  They still have a powerful manufacturing and export engine but demographics have turned against them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on February 08, 2024, 09:19:51 PMHoly fuck, Xi's ridiculous...

As you may know, Lunar New Year - aka Chinese New Year - is one of the biggest holidays in China. It's basically like Christmas is in the West in terms of family and emotional impact.

The holiday starts on on New Years eve and goes on for another 10 days.

So it turns out that the word for New Years Eve is a homonym for "eliminate Xi"... and as of this year, New Years Eve is no longer a public holiday in China.

What a fucking cretin.

It's already quite a disaster period with the big rush to get home...
Sounds like things will be interesting.

Surely effectively cancelling Christmas cannot go well for him?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Wonder when he'll go after chinas real enemies. Sparrows.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 08, 2024, 10:46:25 PMBut the question is whether they will converge or fall into a middle income trap.  They still have a powerful manufacturing and export engine but demographics have turned against them.
Yeah - although I think that's another reason why I think the comparisons with 80s Japan are not that illuminating.

Although one other thought I have - and I have no idea if there's any basis to it - is that we are saying there's low domestic demand and overproduction. And (as I say, no idea if there's anything to this) I couldn't help but think of Saudi during the shale boom when they kept production at levels that were not economically viable given the prices, but the goal was to maintain market share (and having complained about comparisons with Japan here I am throwing in Saudi Arabia :lol:). Especially given the industries where China's investing I can't help but wonder if part of it is basically to build market share? (As the Suadis hoped - and failed - to kill of shale, so China hoping to kill of industries in the West in those core sectors that are their focus).

The other thing I often think about is all of the talk in the West, especially Europe, about de-coupling now pivoting to de-risking. I see China massively increasing its renewable capacity with over 50% domestic production supporting that expansion; while in Europe the European production is around 3% and the target is unattainable without Chinese industry. And I think of covid and I wonder is overproduction also building spare capacity - and is China envisaging a scenario when they might want to de-risk or de-couple from the West?

It's the question that I feel like Western countries (especially washed out ones like Europe) are really struggling to grapple with: what if the rest of the world also has agency now? :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Oh absolutely. China is following the amazon approach of kill the competition and then in the future do what it likes with the market. Probably use it for political ends too - admit that there's never been any such thing as Uighurs or no batteries for you.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 09, 2024, 07:51:24 PMEspecially given the industries where China's investing I can't help but wonder if part of it is basically to build market share? (As the Suadis hoped - and failed - to kill of shale, so China hoping to kill of industries in the West in those core sectors that are their focus).

It's been a few years ago, maybe even close to a decade, but I've seen this before. Basically what China does is invite western companies, steals their technology, then outproduces, outsubsidises and outprices these western companies until they go under. All this in an attempt to basically destroy western industrial capacity.

I've got no reason to assume this isn't their strategy since the CCP is basically evil incarnate.

PJL

Today I learned that China has a 'strategic pork reserve'. Seriously WTF, you couldn't make this up.

Full report here (mainly explaining China's deflation crisis): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1qLbDu04d0

Jacob

A Chinese strategic pork reserve makes sense to me given China's relatively low level of food self-sufficiency and how central pork is to the Chinese diet.

Unsustainable increases in the price of pork or supply issues is a potential threat to the stability of the regime. It's something basically everyone would feel and care about.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 10, 2024, 02:41:47 PMA Chinese strategic pork reserve makes sense to me given China's relatively low level of food self-sufficiency and how central pork is to the Chinese diet.

Unsustainable increases in the price of pork or supply issues is a potential threat to the stability of the regime. It's something basically everyone would feel and care about.
Yeah I think it makes a lot of sense and is weirdly something I'd heard about before.

Edit: Although I still find the idea quite fun.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Having a strategic food reserve makes sense.
Though pork? That doesn't exactly keep well.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It varies by country and says something about each regions food - for example I know India has centrally managed reserves of onions because it's really important in Indian food and shortages or shocks to the prices in the past have kicked off massive protests.

I think it's less a massive stock in case something goes wrong and more something that can be tapped to keep prices stable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on February 10, 2024, 02:45:23 PMHaving a strategic food reserve makes sense.
Though pork? That doesn't exactly keep well.

My guess is that they rotate the stock.

Syt

Let's not forget that Canada has a strategic Maple Syrup Reserve. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Canadian_Maple_Syrup_Heist
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.