News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Is there any evidence that the judicial arbitration of contracts has changed in recent months?

Syt

https://www.state.gov/g7-statement-on-hong-kong-electoral-changes/

QuoteG7 Statement on Hong Kong Electoral Changes

The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.

Begin Text:

We, the G7 Foreign Ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union, are united in expressing our grave concerns at the Chinese authorities' decision fundamentally to erode democratic elements of the electoral system in Hong Kong. Such a decision strongly indicates that the authorities in mainland China are determined to eliminate dissenting voices and opinions in Hong Kong.

The package of changes approved by the National People's Congress, combined with mass arrests of pro-democracy activists and politicians, undermines Hong Kong's high degree of autonomy under the "One Country, Two Systems" principle. The package will also stifle political pluralism, contrary to the aim of moving towards universal suffrage as set out in the Basic Law.  Furthermore, the changes will reduce freedom of speech, which is a right guaranteed in the Sino-British Joint Declaration.

The people of Hong Kong should be trusted to cast their votes in the best interests of Hong Kong.  Discussion of differing views, not silencing of them, is the way to secure the stability and prosperity of Hong Kong.

We call on China to act in accordance with the Sino-British Joint Declaration and its other legal obligations and respect fundamental rights and freedoms in Hong Kong, as provided for in the Basic Law. We also call on China and the Hong Kong authorities to restore confidence in Hong Kong's political institutions and end the unwarranted oppression of those who promote democratic values and the defense of rights and freedoms.

End text.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Lots of calling, little to no action.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Thank you Captain Obvious.

(G7 not Hillary)

HVC

Hah thanks for the clarification.

While the note was weak I do still think HK is on a slow decline as a financial hub in the area.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on March 12, 2021, 05:26:04 PM
Hah thanks for the clarification.

While the note was weak I do still think HK is on a slow decline as a financial hub in the area.

I am just happy that the US actually joined in.  Something that would have been unremarkable 5 years ago.  But what a relief to see them acting in a coordinated way with their allies again.

Sheilbh

I feel bad constantly stealing the FT's content so I'll just link:
https://www.ft.com/content/47c9b28b-8247-4984-9398-dc78ff62b424
UK spy agencies push for curbs on Chinese 'smart cities' technology

This is the weird scenario when intelligence agencies fears and moral concerns align. From the story: "freedom of information requests obtained by Reuters revealed that at least half of London's boroughs have bought and deployed surveillance systems made by Chinese suppliers, including Hikvision [linked to] Beijing's repression of Uyghur Muslims in China."

The UK has restrictive data protection laws and the regulator (and courts) have taken a pretty dim view of the advanced surveillance systems such as facial recognition CCTV etc. But it keeps being pushed by local councils and, inevitably, Chinese companies are some of the best in that area. We have a lot of CCTV and it feels like for state operators there should be restrictions on using Chinese suppliers for national security reasons, and more widely I think we need some sort of legislation like the Modern Slavery Act (which probably needs an update to reflect the situation in Xinjiang) that requires companies to ensure their supply chain doesn't include companies who are either benefiting from forced labour or participating in repression in that province.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/25/nike-and-hm-face-backlash-in-china-over-xinjiang-statements

QuoteNike and H&M face backlash in China over Xinjiang statements

Anger with Nike has erupted on Chinese social media after the company issued a statement saying it was "concerned about reports of forced labour" in China's Xinjiang province, and that it would not source textiles from the region.

The backlash over the Nike statement was among the highest trending topics on China's Twitter-like social media Weibo on Thursday.

The popular Chinese actor Wang Yibo, 23, terminated his contract as a representative for Nike in response to the statement, his agency said on Weibo on Thursday.

Wang, who has found international recognition through the period drama The Untamed, and who has 38 million followers on Weibo, said he opposed "any act to smear China", according to China Global Television Network (CGTN) on Twitter.

Another Chinese actor, Tan Songyun, followed by 23 million on Weibo, also announced she was terminating her contract with Nike.

It was unclear when Nike had put out the statement, which did not have a date on it. Nike did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"We are concerned about reports of forced labor in, and connected to, the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (XUAR)," the statement said.

"Nike does not source products from the XUAR and we have confirmed with our contract suppliers that they are not using textiles or spun yarn from the region."

The move comes amid anger in China at the Swedish clothing giant H&M's decision to no longer source cotton from Xinjiang .

The fashion retailer's products vanished from Chinese tech titan Alibaba's e-commerce platform Taobao on Wednesday, while two popular actors cut ties with H&M and state media published commentaries criticising the company.

Last year H&M said it would not source cotton from Xinjiang and was ending its relationship with a Chinese yarn producer over "forced labour" accusations involving minorities in the region.

The company's statement came after a report by thinktank the Australian Strategic Policy Institute pointed to H&M as a beneficiary of a forced labour transfer programme.

H&M China in a statement on Wednesday night said it "does not represent any political position" and remains committed to long-term investment in China.

The Communist Youth League and China Central Television [CCTV] criticised H&M for "spreading rumours", leading to boycotts of cotton-sourced products.

Besides H&M and Nike, state-run Beijing Youth Daily name-checked Adidas, New Balance, and Burberry for being members of the Better Cotton Initiative which suspended licensing of cotton sourced from Xinjiang early in 2020 due to lack of access and due diligence on whether supply chains there were using forced labour.

Around a dozen Japanese companies, including clothing brands Uniqlo and MUJI, are also believed to have suspended transactions related to Xinjiang cotton.

The row follows the introduction of sanctions against Chinese officials announced on Monday by the European Union, United States, Britain and Canada over alleged human rights abuses in Xinjiang.

China retaliated with sanctions on European lawmakers and institutions.

Human rights groups have described mass human rights abuses in Xinjiang, including the incarceration of more than a million people in internment and re-education camps, forced labour, mass sterilisation of women, and restrictions on religion, culture and language, as cultural genocide.

China has denied these claims and says it is providing vocational training, and that its measures are needed to fight extremism.

Hu Xijin, outspoken editor-in-chief of the state-run Global Times, urged western companies on Wednesday to be "highly cautious" and not to "suppress China's Xinjiang" in a social media post.

To do so would "undoubtedly arouse the anger of the Chinese public," he added. He did not single out any companies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

https://www.dw.com/en/china-gets-german-childrens-book-about-covid-withdrawn/a-56874633

QuoteChina gets German children's book about COVID withdrawn

German publisher Carlsen-Verlag has, at the urging of the Chinese embassy, taken a children's book off the market, because it implies a direct link between COVID-19 and China.

Whenever China is blamed for starting the COVID-19 pandemic, its government reacts. By describing it as the "Chinese virus," former US President Trump drew Beijing's ire for making the country responsible for the pandemic situation. World Health Organization (WHO) experts visiting China were also treated with more than just suspicion when they arrived at Wuhan province to investigate the origins of the virus.

Chinese artist Ai Weiwei, who routinely uses his creativity to criticize the Chinese government, also got a taste of Beijing's disapproval when he aired his film Coronation, which documents the heavy-handed measures taken by Chinese authorities during the lockdown in Wuhan.

"The People's Republic of China is trying to control how we think and talk about China. They feel there should only be good stories about China," says Ralph Weber, associate professor for European Global Studies at the University of Basel and an expert of Chinese relations.

German children's book links virus to China

And that attitude now has an impact on a children's book published in Germany, which stated, "the virus came from China and has spread from there all over the world." Beijing wasn't exactly pleased.

Written by author Constanze Steindamm and illustrator Dorothea Tust, the book, whose German title translates as "A Corona Rainbow for Anna and Moritz," was published by the Carlsen-Verlag publishing house in Hamburg. It aims to provide "the most important tips for daycare centers and elementary schools on how to behave properly during coronavirus pandemic," the publishers said, adding that it was an "affectionate nonfiction story."

Carlsen publishing house explained that the book was about "explaining the far-reaching changes to everyday life during the pandemic as well as the hygiene precautions and behavioral measures that children and adults alike can take to protect themselves from infection."

"It was important to the publishers to offer such a book as quickly as possible in the spring of 2020 to convey these aspects in a way that is suitable for children and based on facts, providing tips for behavior in everyday life."

The Chinese government's reaction

The Chinese consulate in Hamburg promptly threatened the Carlsen publishing house with filing criminal charges, demanding the recall of the book as well as a public apology.

Carlsen publishing house complied with the demand, telling DW that it had "stopped delivery of the book." A new edition with a different wording regarding the origins of the virus is already in the making

The publishing house said that the original version had been in line with what was being reported at the time of the release of the first edition, adding that "today we would no longer use this wording, as its meaning has proven to be far more open to interpretation than we had intended."

But why does a powerful nation like China choose to intervene at all with the wording in a children's book, of all things — especially taking into consideration that the book was launched with a relatively small initial print run of just a few thousand copies? And how can it be that a major German children's book publisher agrees to bow to pressure from Beijing, nearly 7,500 kilometers (4,600 miles) away?

The Carlsen-Verlag publishing house is keeping its lips rather sealed when approached for commentary. The same is true for the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine in Hamburg, which had advised the publishing house on the children's book.

China's growing influence

Chinese journalist Shi Ming highlights how politically sensitive the issue truly is: "In the beginning, the Chinese propaganda itself said that the disease had first started in China. It even referred to it as 'Wuhan pneumonia.' But now, it wants to erase the memory of the virus' origins with a worldwide political correctness campaign."

Shi also told DW that Beijing fears its image in the world could suffer, and that immeasurable compensation claims could ensue if the virus was positively linked to China. To combat this threat, China is leaving no stone unturned when it comes to the global narrative on COVID-19.

Ralph Weber, who lived in China himself for some time, says that Beijing rather wants to present a narrative that highlights, for example, "how China fought the coronavirus pandemic with great efficiency."

Working on China's image, at home and abroad

But China's strategy goes beyond showcasing hospitals built in a week or lockdowns implemented with military precision: "It also involves telling people in China that things are not going so well in Europe; that the European model needs an overhaul, that it has failed, that democracy as practiced in Europe doesn't work," Weber told DW.

This is exactly how the People's Republic casts itself in a good light — at least at home — making its own brand of authoritarianism look socially acceptable to its own people, says Weber.

The case of the Carlsen publishing house did not surprise the political expert at all; Weber says it is rather part of a pattern: "For a long time now, China has been influencing cultural life in Europe, and perhaps we haven't noticed that so far."

"A lot is being done to ensure that we talk much less today about Tibet, Tiananmen or Taiwan, for example," says Ralph Weber, listing how Chinese authorities from consulates to embassies are trying to create a positive image for example by sending dance groups around the globe or by offering free events at China's worldwide Confucius Institutes.

As a major publisher, could Carlsen have tried to defend itself against Chinese influence? Perhaps, says Weber, "but the question is rather, what would have been the consequences..."

Indeed, some insiders suspect that regime-loyal members of the Chinese community could have made life difficult for the publisher through letters to the editor or bad reviews on book sales portals. This is where the intervention of democratic states is called for, according to the Swiss political scientist: "Nobody will be strong enough on their own."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

As a major publisher, could Carlsen have tried to defend itself against Chinese influence? Perhaps, says Weber, "but the question is rather, what would have been the consequences..."

Germans especially should know better than anyone else what the consequences are of yielding to hitlerian scum.
At least they have the honor of not being the only pnes, as everyone in the west seems to be appeasing the CCP

DGuller

I kind of thought that one of the basic jobs of the government is to protect their citizens from other governments, at least while their citizens are on their territory.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 31, 2021, 12:35:31 PM
I kind of thought that one of the basic jobs of the government is to protect their citizens from other governments, at least while their citizens are on their territory.

It is becoming a much more pressing issue for Canada.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on March 31, 2021, 12:35:31 PM
There's a real campaign at the minute by China - they've sanctioned several think-tanks and academics and publishers as well as parliamentarians (definitely in the UK and I think also at the European Parliament). The issue there seems to have been Xinjiang or Hong Kong rather than covid.

But it's quite alarming because it's clearly aimed at chilling discussion of those issues, on the other hand I've seen a fair amount of solidarity from others and ultimately it's relatively easy to go on with your life not transferring your assets to China, while if you're a Chinese civil servant not being able to transfer assets to the US, say, is a bit more likely to be an issue.

Also just thinking in terms of Garbon's post it feels like companies may have to start choosing - not because of governmet action (though I think the consumer boycotts in China do seem to have had some state support for the campaign) but because of consumers. Western consumers (and some lawmakers) increasingly have an issue shopping for goods that are partly supplied out of Xinjiang, so there's campaigns like the clean cotton campaign. On the other hand Chinese consumers increasingly seem to have an issue shopping with companies that decide to take a corporate stance on Xinjiang. I'm not sure how long companies will be able to straddle those two markets with any ease - and I think we're only at the start of finding out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2021, 12:49:05 PM
On the other hand Chinese consumers increasingly seem to have an issue shopping with companies that decide to take a corporate stance on Xinjiang. I'm not sure how long companies will be able to straddle those two markets with any ease - and I think we're only at the start of finding out.

Doing business in China is not a winning proposition for any westers (non-chinese) company it seems. You only end up strenghtening your inevitable competition given that you need to basically sign everything exect your underwear over to the chinese. Better stay away from that country by default imho. Even if it is a big market.

Sheilbh

BBC China correspondent in Beijing has relocated to Taipei following lots of pressure/difficulties. His wife is the RTE correspondent in China who has also been experiencing lots of pressure. Both have reported on Xinjiang, Hong Kong and covid - and have said that basically their safety and safety of their family ended up taking priority.

There are now I think very few western journalists still in China - certainly from English language media. A lot of US journalists were expelled, the Australian networks have pullled out for safety reasons, I think Canadian and UK media companies have now also really reduced their presence.
Let's bomb Russia!