1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

lustindarkness

So many great movies, can't vote.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 23, 2012, 10:57:16 AM
So many great movies, can't vote.

Yeah, the term "action flick" is too broad;  there's several genres in that list, from cop-and-buddy flicks to Reagantosterone hits.

I wouldn't even put Die Hard, Raiders or possibly even Aliens in there, as they actually transcend the basic concept of "action flick":  they're of the highest cinematic experience, they're what movies are all about in the greatest sense.

Admiral Yi

I agree with Beeb that Raiders doesn't belong on the list.  If it did, it would be #1.  Every frame, every line of dialogue, is perfect.  A flawless movie.

So of the ones that are action flics, Aliens then Die Hard.

lustindarkness

Same with Empire Strikes Back, that could also be categorized as an Action Movie, and did not even make it to Syt's list.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

I thought about whether to include Raiders or not - I decided in favor, because I find the action set pieces to be very dominant in that one and they're what stick with you.

I decided against putting Empire on the list because while the action scenes are very good and memorable, it's more remembered for its story IMHO. YMMV.

EDIT: I regret not putting The Road Warrior on the list, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Razgovory

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 23, 2012, 11:40:29 AM
Same with Empire Strikes Back, that could also be categorized as an Action Movie, and did not even make it to Syt's list.

I would characterize Empire strikes back and Raiders of the Lost Ark "Adventure" films, though if you are going to include them, why omit the Mad Max films?  Die Hard is the best example of classic "80's action" I think there is.  I admit, I have a weak spot for 1980's action films.  Great stunt work, hokey one liners, little to no CGI.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

There's A Better Tomorrow which started the trend but it has to be The Killer which is more than an action flick though.
Of course, it only arrived in the West in the early '90s like A Better Tomorrow  :hmm:

Jaron

Where is Death Wish 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvSwpljtxlg

That seems pretty damn action..able to me.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on September 23, 2012, 11:55:10 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 23, 2012, 11:40:29 AM

I would characterize Empire strikes back and Raiders of the Lost Ark "Adventure" films, though if you are going to include them, why omit the Mad Max films?  Die Hard is the best example of classic "80's action" I think there is.  I admit, I have a weak spot for 1980's action films.  Great stunt work, hokey one liners, little to no CGI.

Indeed and especially so.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

The general absence of hokey one liners is one of the reasons Aliens beats out Die Hard.  Although most of the Jar Head manly talk is pretty cringe-inducing.  With the obvious exception of Valasquez' line, one of the best lines EVAH.

FunkMonk

I may be in the minority here but hokey one-liners are part of why I love 80s action flicks.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 23, 2012, 11:54:35 AM
You also left off Mega Force.  :mad:

Oh, that's a fun movie.

I think Die Hard is the most important, but of the ones I've seen Raiders is probably the best, although it's a toss-up.

I don't feel the the Star Wars movies count either, but if they did, I'd vote Return of Jedi.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 23, 2012, 11:54:35 AM
You also left off Mega Force.  :mad:

I'll have to see if that abortion is on netfux.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

In those kind of pools, I always vote for Commando.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.