News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Function of stoning as a punishment

Started by Martinus, September 20, 2012, 09:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

It's simple and direct. Collision of rock-to-skull is probably the method of death in the first ever instance of one human killing another.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josephus

"All I said was that piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."

well somebody had to do it.

http://youtu.be/hsVAYFSEBrA
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

It is simple and easy to do.  You don't need sharpened weapons, which may or may not be available.  Everybody can throw a stone.  Not everybody can cut bone with a weapon.  There is sharing of responsibility among the participants, but I think it goes beyond that.  It is easy to compel everybody to join the stoning, so that few can stay out of it.  Makes sure that everybody is on the same side and no one can claim neutrality.   

Josephus

I don't think I've been stoned since 1999. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on September 20, 2012, 08:57:54 PM
I don't think I've been stoned since 1999. :(

I'm stoned. Thanks to prescription drugs. :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Martim Silva on September 20, 2012, 10:40:27 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2012, 10:35:44 AM
Not with lethal injections.  Yeah, watching at the heart rate monitor is soooo exciting.  :rolleyes:

I admit that's not the coolest execution ever, and ratings would be better with an electric chair, but even so, I think even just waiting for the guy to croak, and seeing his anxietey, would make a lot of people watch it.

Personally, I think the best method for executions as public entertainment would be hanging.  Heck, the state could probably offset the cost of executing someone with paid admissions and TV rights, and maybe even turn a small profit.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on September 20, 2012, 09:37:51 PM
Personally, I think the best method for executions as public entertainment would be hanging.  Heck, the state could probably offset the cost of executing someone with paid admissions and TV rights, and maybe even turn a small profit.

Nobody reads Camus anymore.   :rolleyes: