War Between China and Japan; A Realistic Possibility?

Started by jimmy olsen, September 20, 2012, 12:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is War Between China and Japan a Realistic Possibility?

Yes it is
7 (25%)
China is more likely to attack Taiwan
3 (10.7%)
China is more likely to attack the Philippines
0 (0%)
China is more likely to attack Vietnam
0 (0%)
China isn't going to attack anyone
20 (71.4%)
The US should intervene on the side of Japan if they are attacked
9 (32.1%)
The US should intervene on the side of Taiwan if they are attacked
2 (7.1%)
The US should intervene on the side of the Philippines if they are attacked
1 (3.6%)
The US should intervene on the side of Vietnam if they are attacked
0 (0%)
The US should stay out of any such conflict
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Habbaku

Quote from: Phillip V on September 20, 2012, 05:12:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2012, 05:11:40 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 20, 2012, 04:59:59 AM
Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Filipino women should be encouraged to come to America as refugees.
Why? It ruins them. :(
How?

It'd make them Americans.  :rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

I'm all for importing more Asian chicks.  Except Filipinos.  They're like chunky Mexicans with slanty eyes.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 20, 2012, 05:46:56 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2012, 01:07:39 AM
Due to the silly poll structure, I have the US defending the Philippines and Taiwan but not Japan. They'll have to fend for themselves.  :ph34r:

That's about as silly as saying you'd defend Italy and the Netherlands, but not the UK.  Retarded.

Hey, Tim's the one who only gave us two votes with multiple non-exclusive options on the table. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 20, 2012, 07:01:09 AM
Hey, Tim's the one who only gave us two votes with multiple non-exclusive options on the table. :contract:

Then you do what I do when it comes to Timmaytard polls:  IGNORE  :bash: :frusty: :thumbsdown: :contract:

Grey Fox

I voted : Yes, it is & China won't attack anyone.

Because I could.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Remake People's General so we can game this out with 21st century graphics and game engines.
PDH!

The Brain

Is "Flying Fortress" still the best American IFF system in a Sino-Japanese conflict?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Crappy poll choices and an alarmist article, but the best-connected and most savvy Chinese exchange student I have was just discussing this with me yesterday, and he feels that Chinese popular opinion is so intolerant of japan that the Chinese government, even if it weren't at a precarious point in the transition of power, would be hard-pressed to justify any concessions whatever.

My student thinks the government definitely does not want a serious conflict, but that it may have to do something dramatic to ease public tempers, and that something dramatic may have the potential to be misinterpreted as being more hostile than was intended.  That could be very bad for all concerned.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Japan would smoke their asses in the air, on the water, and under it.  Even without us.

Ed Anger

Lettow will form the okatu brigade which will be wiped out in a mass banzai charge.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on September 20, 2012, 08:41:24 AM
Crappy poll choices and an alarmist article, but the best-connected and most savvy Chinese exchange student I have was just discussing this with me yesterday, and he feels that Chinese popular opinion is so intolerant of japan that the Chinese government, even if it weren't at a precarious point in the transition of power, would be hard-pressed to justify any concessions whatever.

My student thinks the government definitely does not want a serious conflict, but that it may have to do something dramatic to ease public tempers, and that something dramatic may have the potential to be misinterpreted as being more hostile than was intended.  That could be very bad for all concerned.

The Chinese government will likely come to an agreement and then lie to people.  Besides, nearly everyone in East Asia hates Japan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017