Obsidian raised a million dollars in a day on Kickstarter

Started by MadImmortalMan, September 18, 2012, 01:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2014, 11:33:20 PM
I've pretty much stopped looking at review scores and instead look at the reviews themselves and user feedback/let's plays instead. I find those much more informative than a "87%" or "8.5/10" ratings.

Oh yeah, totally.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I hope these reviews are weighted so they give more say On the average to a top magazine than some minor website
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I like this idea.  I'm much heavier then Ide, so my reviews should be worth more.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

celedhring

If videogame reviews work anything like film reviews, you shouldn't necessarily trust bigger magazines; those are in the pockets of distributors as they depend on them for exclusives, interviews, sneak peeks, etc...

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2014, 05:29:03 AM
If videogame reviews work anything like film reviews, you shouldn't necessarily trust bigger magazines; those are in the pockets of distributors as they depend on them for exclusives, interviews, sneak peeks, etc...

The game reviewing business is rotten to the core.

Grey Fox

It's much, much, much worse.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2014, 10:31:36 AM

It's much, much, much worse.

Yeah, since most websites are dependent on advertising from said games makers.  I read Rock Paper Shotgun's blog, because they are British and thus find problems with everything.  It's not perfect but it's better then those sites where the lowest rating they give is a 7/10.

Syt

Yeah, RPS, Total Biscuit (to some degree - he has a different taste in games than I do, so I adjust for that), Destructoid partly, folks like quill18 for mainstream-ish strategy games, Splattercat and a bunch of others for other games. I find that I get much more out of a half hour video review or a few "Let's Play" episodes than I do out of a review on any major website.

And of course checking forums and user feedback.

I can't even say when the last time was that I went on a page like IGN or similar.

That said, I can be a rather forgiving gamer. If I pay 10 EUR for a game and realize I don't like it I'm not going to throw a hissy fit, but move on instead and make a note to generally avoid the developer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 10:23:55 AM

The game reviewing business is rotten to the core.

Yeah I really do not understand the point of most of them.  What about independent-ish guys like Angry Joe, Total Biscuit, or Yahtzee?  Granted I usually listen to them rant for the entertainment value than actually getting info about games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Pedrito

...aaaaand there's a release date!

According to Project Update #88, the game will be out March 26, 2015. :yeah:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Legbiter

Quote from: Pedrito on January 15, 2015, 03:00:44 PM

L.

I'm more excited about this game than I probably should be. Do I need to start wearing thick black-rimmed glasses and flannel?  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Intro to documentary about making the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnQl-wbccI

Woah.  I had no idea this kickstarter was their last stand.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Pedrito on January 15, 2015, 03:00:44 PM

L.

I'll be damned.  It's actually going to be a thing.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2015, 04:54:05 PM
I'll be damned.  It's actually going to be a thing.

Hardly surprising. They just had a retty successful release last year. There is a reason people gave them their money.