News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Week 2: Damned activist judges

Started by CountDeMoney, September 13, 2012, 07:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

NFL Films President Steve Sabol died today after a battle with brain cancer.

He died at 69.  His father, at 96 outlived him.  The two of them changed everything about the way we view sports here, imo.

MadBurgerMaker

Michael Turner got nailed for DUI (and also 97 in a 65) after the game last night. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20219676

QuoteFalcons running back Michael Turner was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and speeding hours after Atlanta outlasted Denver on Monday Night Football, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Turner was booked into the Gwinnett County Jail just after 5 a.m. ET Tuesday and was released two hours later on a $2,179 bond.

Gwinnett County police spokesman Cpl. Edwin Ritter told the Associated Press that an officer pulled Turner over in his black Audi R8 on Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta after clocking the car going 97 mph in a 65-mph zone.

"The officer made contact with the driver who identified himself as 30-year-old Michael Turner of the Atlanta Falcons," Ritter said in a news release. "The officer could smell an odor of alcoholic beverage coming from the driver and proceeded to conduct a DUI investigation."

The former fifth-round pick out of Northern Illinois joined the Falcons in 2008 after spending the first four years of his career with the Chargers. Turner, 30, has rushed for 5,355 yards and 51 touchdowns in his five seasons in Atlanta.

"We are aware of the situation involving Michael and are in the process of gathering more information," the Falcons said in a statement released by the team. "Because this is now a legal matter, the club will have no further comment at this time."

In Monday night's 27-21 win over the Broncos, Turner had 42 yards on 17 carries and scored the game's first touchdown.

Nice job, buddy.

Quote from: sbr on September 18, 2012, 05:23:23 PM
NFL Films President Steve Sabol died today after a battle with brain cancer.

He died at 69.  His father, at 96 outlived him.  The two of them changed everything about the way we view sports here, imo.

:(

CountDeMoney

Yeah, losing Steve Sabol is enough for the entire league to wear a patch this season.   The man and his father did as much--if not more in some cases--than the owners or commissioners in building the league into what it is today.

katmai

NFL films facility in So. Jersey is beautiful place.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Steve Sabol :(

Aww man that sucks I watched about 5000 hours of NFL films when I was a teenager.  Before Super Bowl XXVI I watched the NFL highlight show for each 25 Super Bowls in a row leading up to it marathon-style.  Yes even Super Bowl XVIII.  I was so cool back then  :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on September 18, 2012, 06:36:20 PM
NFL films facility in So. Jersey is beautiful place.

I've only seen it on TV, but it always struck me as part video library, part cathedral. :wub:

I would love to see it someday.

Neil

:(  Steve Sabol.

In other news, it seems that one of the refs was telling Eagles players that he needed them to have a big game for his fantasy team.  This was a pretty rough weekend for the replacement refs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Yeah he said he had McCoy on his roster or something.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 06:59:52 PM
In other news, it seems that one of the refs was telling Eagles players that he needed them to have a big game for his fantasy team.  This was a pretty rough weekend for the replacement refs.

For the last two weeks, the replacement refs are the only people performing worse than the Romney campaign.  And that's fucking saying something.
The NFL has got to stop this madness.

katmai

fucking Neil

QuoteFighting Nixons beat Frozen Wetbacks 127 - 93 and put up the second-highest point total this week. Each side hit their projections, but Fighting Nixons scored 46.5% more points than projected (86.66) to earn the win. Frozen Wetbacks was led by Matt Ryan with 20 points and Willis McGahee who scored 19. Fighting Nixons started one player with zero points while Frozen Wetbacks also served up one goose egg, meaning each team left something on the table. Fighting Nixons (1-1, 205 points) shifts into sixth place and Frozen Wetbacks (1-1, 191 points) stays in seventh place.

Fighting Nixons Smooth Moves

Philip Rivers put up 27 points, which was the fifth-highest score in the league this week.
With 25 points, Hakeem Nicks ranked seventh in the league in scoring.
Fighting Nixons had 7 of their 10 starters exceed their projected points.
Fighting Nixons won even with LeGarrette Blount in the starting lineup, who didn't score any points.
The Seattle Seahawks Defense exceeded scoring projections by 138.8%, with 17 points against a projected 7.12.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 06:59:52 PM
:(  Steve Sabol.

:bleeding:

There was a quote from Kareem Jackson after the Texans - Dolphins game about the scabs that was...strange.  He got hit with a really late flag for a facemask at one point in the game, and he asked the ref what the deal with that was.  The guy apparently told him it "came from upstairs."  I didn't know there was a ref off the field who could tell them to throw flags.

Neil

I got ahead of you in the standings too?  LOL.

Yeah, so long as my passing game is worth 80+ points every week, I guess I'll be alright.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2012, 07:09:11 PM
I got ahead of you in the standings too?  LOL.

Yeah, so long as my passing game is worth 80+ points every week, I guess I'll be alright.
Yeah I believe 1st tie breaker is total Pts scored.

CountDeMoney

2 fucking points.  Yeah, like Peyton really needed to throw that extra interception.  Thanks, pal.

Neil

I've been hearing rumours that the dollar amount that has them seperated is $2 million or so, which I find to be incredible.  There are kickers who make more than that.  Steve Bischotti could fire Cam Cameron and his salary would make up the difference.