News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

(Temporary) Suffering makes you appreciate the good parts more. However, any kind of eternal hell pretty much automatically qualifies god as a monster.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 11:40:51 AM

Suffering is a choice of free will.

So if I am born with a congenital defect that causes me unimaginable pain throughout my life, this resulted from free will?

garbon

Actually I just looked at would say again we've gone beyond the parameters of what I said.  I stated that I personally didn't feel that I had the perspective to gauge the level of monstrosity of a god.  My hypothetical was predicated on the notion that one believed in a god that believed that said god was monstrous.  I'm not sure trickster gods really matter in such a case where one believe that the god is monstrous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on September 26, 2012, 11:47:09 AM
So if I am born with a congenital defect that causes me unimaginable pain throughout my life, this resulted from free will?

The pain is a result of phyiscal laws, which we are all subject to but are without morality they just exist.  The suffering, to the extent this causes you suffering, is your interpretation of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

All I know is that God wanted me to have a chocolate eclair right now, but I don't have one.  Something is wrong.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 26, 2012, 11:28:40 AMI'm not sure why said person would assume the God was a trickster god.

... and I'm not sure why said person would assume the god in question was just an asshole.

QuoteAs in I think frunk makes just as many presumptions in choosing to follow what he feels is good.

That's the point. Your hypothetical is built on a set of presumptions designed to give you the answer you're looking for. Thus, if you don't like the pre-supposed answer (and I don't), your best option is to change the presumption or the hypothetical.

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 11:55:09 AM
Quote from: frunk on September 26, 2012, 11:47:09 AM

The pain is a result of phyiscal laws, which we are all subject to but are without morality they just exist.  The suffering, to the extent this causes you suffering, is your interpretation of it.

Does this mean that it's not possible to have a monstrous god if monstrosity is defined as intentionally bringing about suffering, since we could choose not to suffer?

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on September 26, 2012, 12:12:30 PM
Does this mean that it's not possible to have a monstrous god if monstrosity is defined as intentionally bringing about suffering, since we could choose not to suffer?

If you define monstrosity that way then sure.  If a Nazi tortures a Jew who is at peace the whole time does that mean he is not a monster?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2012, 12:17:28 PM

If you define monstrosity that way then sure.  If a Nazi tortures a Jew who is at peace the whole time does that mean he is not a monster?

Of course the Nazi is a monster, and just because we define suffering so that it can't be inflicted doesn't mean that any god is off the hook for creating an environment where nasty things happen.

The Brain

Seems racist to me to claim that the poor Arab Mohammed couldn't tell fantasy from fact.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on September 26, 2012, 12:04:37 PM
That's the point. Your hypothetical is built on a set of presumptions designed to give you the answer you're looking for. Thus, if you don't like the pre-supposed answer (and I don't), your best option is to change the presumption or the hypothetical.

It isn't the answer I'm looking for. Again, I was the one who said I'd have difficulty judging the monstrosity of a god (primarily for the reasons that frunk listed).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on September 26, 2012, 12:47:53 PM
Seems racist to me to claim that the poor Arab Mohammed couldn't tell fantasy from fact.

not when you say the same thing about hitler, stalin and scientologists.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

I would think that most people would like to believe that they would maintain their moral system in any situation.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney