And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2012, 11:32:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2012, 11:29:48 AM
Okay, then riddle me this.  What is the obsession with Teleprompters? 

You're the one who brought it up.

I'm not the one that tried to get it removed from the budget.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 14, 2012, 10:22:50 AM
I read Joan's "hypothetical" as more of a joking dig at Kansas. 

had I known it would cause such grief, I wouldn't have bothered.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: KRonn on September 13, 2012, 08:06:49 PM
So WTF was an Ambassador doing wandering around Benghazi on the anniversary of Sept 11? That's a date when radicals seem to try and attack US interests. And were all Embassies heavily defended for that date? It now seems quite obvious that the video was just a prop for a well orchestrated attack on the anniversary of Sept 11. I'm sure this has already been said in this 24 page thread, but I haven't read all of it.

The video had nothing to do with it.  The attack was planned and was going to happen anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 14, 2012, 12:12:44 PM
The video had nothing to do with it.  The attack was planned and was going to happen anyway.

Pretty much, yeah.  The video just happened to be a convenient coincidence.

PDH

Quote from: grumbler on September 14, 2012, 11:33:47 AM
I don't see it, but then I am not a tribal, so maybe I can't see it.

Grumbler predates tribes.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Kleves

I think we should make sure we emphasize that Islam should not be judged by the actions of Muslims all over the world.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

derspiess

Quote from: Kleves on September 14, 2012, 12:56:51 PM
I think we should make sure we emphasize that Islam should not be judged by the actions of Muslims all over the world.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

The persons who make negative comments about Islam should take a minute and imagine a world without Islam. :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2012, 01:06:04 PM
The persons who make negative comments about Islam should take a minute and imagine a world without Islam. :mad:

mmm... no Islam....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

:hmm: you don't think the video was distributed as part of the planning?

Valmy

:hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 14, 2012, 12:21:02 PM

Pretty much, yeah.  The video just happened to be a convenient coincidence.

Jay Carney sez UR WRONG.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/249561-white-house-no-actionable-intelligence-ahead-of-libyan-assault

Quote"We have no information to suggest it was a pre-planned attack," Carney said. "The unrest we've seen across the region was in response to a video ... not in response to a 9/11 anniversary, that we know of."

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2012, 01:24:32 PM

:hmm:

MotherFUCKER, I was trying to find that pic.   :mad:

:cheers:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Something good has come out of it:

In the Lebanese city of Tripoli, protesters set fire to a KFC branch, sparking clashes with security forces.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2012, 01:28:37 PM
Jay Carney sez UR WRONG.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/249561-white-house-no-actionable-intelligence-ahead-of-libyan-assault

Quote"We have no information to suggest it was a pre-planned attack," Carney said. "The unrest we've seen across the region was in response to a video ... not in response to a 9/11 anniversary, that we know of."

Who says it needed to have anything to do with 9/11?  Certain Libyan groups have been taking potshots at foreign personnel with increasing frequency in recent months.

So David Rivera sez UR WRONG TOO

QuoteHowever, the transition has been turbulent and marred by violence from armed militias and as part of regional and tribal disputes.  Much of the violence has been centered in Benghazi. Assaults have included rocket-propelled grenades hitting the offices of the International Red Cross in May, a rocket-propelled grenade attack on a vehicle carrying Britain's ambassador to Libya in June, and a bombing just outside the perimeter walls of the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi just one day earlier. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/foreign-policy/249593-libya-attack-part-of-a-dangerous-pattern-of-unrest