News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2012, 12:16:05 PM
Mohammed is not even a diety he is just a dude.  Theologically speaking it should not even be blasphemy to insult him.

I have held the view for quite a while now that it is Idolatry to be offended by any depiction of Mohammed; since in a sense the worshiper has built an idol in his own mind.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 01:06:42 PM
If I were the ambassador I'd be more worried about the marine with two tours in iraq and ptsd than any locals.

The USMC Embassy Security Group is one of the most difficult units to get into, and has a rather strict volunteer program.  Not just every Marine gets in;  there's a substantial admission and training process involved.  I doubt many, if any, Marines with combat experience get in without the strictest vetting.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 01:11:56 PM
Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 01:06:42 PM
If I were the ambassador I'd be more worried about the marine with two tours in iraq and ptsd than any locals.

The USMC Embassy Security Group is one of the most difficult units to get into, and has a rather strict volunteer program.  Not just every Marine gets in;  there's a substantial admission and training process involved.  I doubt many, if any, Marines with combat experience get in without the strictest vetting.

Well, at least they didn't let Siegy in...

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on September 13, 2012, 12:59:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 12:17:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2012, 12:16:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 12:14:36 PM
We're not talking about advertising products using false claims, or other legitimate legal limitations on speech.

Glad to see you at least acknowledge there are legal limitations on speech.  I think we are making progress with you.

:huh:

Once you realize he's trolling, it's easier to ignore stuff like that.

libertariantards of the world unite!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2012, 01:17:12 PM
Well, at least they didn't let Siegy in...

Only the Army would take Siegy.  That tells you all you need to know.

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2012, 01:18:31 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 13, 2012, 12:59:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 12:17:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 13, 2012, 12:16:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2012, 12:14:36 PM
We're not talking about advertising products using false claims, or other legitimate legal limitations on speech.

Glad to see you at least acknowledge there are legal limitations on speech.  I think we are making progress with you.

:huh:

Once you realize he's trolling, it's easier to ignore stuff like that.

libertariantards of the world unite!

Thanks for proving my point. :hug:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Now that Morsi has demanded that the makers of the Innocence of Muslims be put on trial, I point to almost the exact same situation in reverse. A Horseman without a Horse

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/2409591.stm

QuoteThursday, 7 November, 2002, 12:07 GMT
Egypt airs 'anti-Semitic' series

Egyptian broadcasters have aired the first episode in a controversial television series - in spite of US and Israeli requests that it be banned as anti-Semitic.
Two Egyptian television stations began showing the 41-part Horseman Without A Horse across the Arab world on Wednesday night.

The series is billed as a chronicle of the Arab struggle against colonial rule and against the establishment of the state of Israel.

But it includes a sub-plot involving a forged document - the Protocols of the Elders of Zion - describing an alleged Jewish plot for world domination, which was used by the Nazis as a pretext for the Holocaust.

"At a time when the Egyptian government is working to promote peace in the region, a program that promotes hatred would be extremely unfortunate and counterproductive," State Department spokeswoman Anne Marks said.

Forty-six members of the US Congress sent a letter on Monday to Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak expressing concern about the program.

Journalist's tale

The show stars Mohammed Sobhi in the role of journalist Hafez Neguib.

The first episode finds him wandering through the desert, dishevelled and exhausted, in the aftermath of Israel's creation in 1948 on what was once Palestine.

"The armies of the free have been defeated by treachery," he said in a sombre voice over.

"Beloved Palestine is lost, grabbed by Zion's sons through organised plundering."

Sobhi's character then shows what had happened to his father in Egypt in 1855 when he was abducted by a Turkish nobleman desperate for a son.

'Not offensive'

Egyptian officials denied that the series contained anything against Jewish people in general.

The State Department became involved after the US-based Jewish pressure group, the Anti-Defamation League, wrote to it, describing the series as the "latest manifestation of an ongoing pattern of anti-Semitic incitement in the Egyptian media".

A BBC correspondent in Cairo, Heba Saleh, said the Egyptian press had predictably hit back, portraying the US complaint as an insulting attempt to dictate to a sovereign nation what it can run on television.

The row is also being presented as yet another example of American submission to Israel and the Jewish lobby.

I just wonder how Bush and Sharon administration hacks can justify calling on the Egyptians to ban Horseman and not do the converse themselves? Or will Morsi suddenly find a backbone and prosecute the makers of horseman (or have they already been purged, I don't know).

MadImmortalMan

So who is going to organize a riot at the Egyptian embassy?   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 10:30:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2012, 10:25:15 AM
What's a separate civil rights issue? I asked a question why the US government feels a need to issue a formal statement with respect to an action of a private US citizen, not affiliated in any manner with the US government, that offends a certain group, where it does not seem to have the same policy with respect to similar actions offensive to other groups.

Tell you what:  when a bunch of drag queens start scaling the walls at Magazine Street and setting chiffon cocktail dresses on fire over something on youtube, then the US government will issue a statement.

The funny thing is, when it's gays on the chopping block the US government can't say enough damning people.  People in the US government issue statements denouncing all sorts of intolerance all the time.  This is simply a type of intolerance that Marty approves of.

Here's an example of the US State Department denouncing anti-gay laws in Russia.  http://www.advocate.com/news/daily-news/2012/02/09/state-dept-denounces-russian-antigay-bill
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2012, 02:16:21 PM
So who is going to organize a riot at the Egyptian embassy?   :P

Large groups of angry young Jews-- going back in time to 2002 :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Viking, you sure choose an odd battleground on which to wage your war against religion; Languish of all places, it ain't exactly god botherers central is it ?   :hmm:

Maybe you should get out and take the fight to some flesh and blood muslims.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2012, 02:41:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 10:30:54 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2012, 10:25:15 AM
What's a separate civil rights issue? I asked a question why the US government feels a need to issue a formal statement with respect to an action of a private US citizen, not affiliated in any manner with the US government, that offends a certain group, where it does not seem to have the same policy with respect to similar actions offensive to other groups.

Tell you what:  when a bunch of drag queens start scaling the walls at Magazine Street and setting chiffon cocktail dresses on fire over something on youtube, then the US government will issue a statement.

The funny thing is, when it's gays on the chopping block the US government can't say enough damning people.  People in the US government issue statements denouncing all sorts of intolerance all the time.  This is simply a type of intolerance that Marty approves of.

Here's an example of the US State Department denouncing anti-gay laws in Russia.  http://www.advocate.com/news/daily-news/2012/02/09/state-dept-denounces-russian-antigay-bill

That's not really a relevant example.  Unless Russia happened to qualify as a private US citizen.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2012, 02:55:16 PM
Viking you sure choose an odd battleground to wage you war against religion, Languish of all places, it ain't exactly god botherers central is it.   :hmm:

I am a God Warrior :contract: