News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Reuters: US ambassador to Libya dead

Started by Martinus, September 12, 2012, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Oh and the latest reports are that this was a temporary consulate. So no marines, no bomb proofing and not even any bullet proof glass or anything that's standard at a US Embassy. And the current view is that this looks like a planned attack that used the protest as cover.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Obama talking live in Las Vagas; didn't quite catch what he was saying about the event, other than about public service abroad.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2012, 08:01:17 PM
Oh and the latest reports are that this was a temporary consulate. So no marines, no bomb proofing and not even any bullet proof glass or anything that's standard at a US Embassy. And the current view is that this looks like a planned attack that used the protest as cover.

QuoteRep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.), chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said there is strong evidence that the attack was planned.

"This was a well-armed, well-coordinated event," Rogers said in an interview on MSNBC. "It had both indirect and direct fire, and it had military maneuvers that were all part of this very organized attack." Rogers referred to weapons that aimed directly at a target and those, such as rockets and mortars, that are fired without a direct line of sight.

According to Firas Abdelhakim, a Libyan television journalist who said he witnessed part of the attack, a group of several dozen armed men mounted the assault.

Abdelhakim said he was about three miles from consulate when he saw 20 to 30 cars driving toward the consulate shortly before 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

When he reached the consulate, he said, he saw about 50 armed men gathering who were not carrying banners or chanting slogans. When asked who they were, they described themselves variously as "Muslims defending the Prophet" and "a group of Muslim youth" who were "defending Islam," Abdelhakim said.

Interesting MSNBC report on how this attack may have been retaliation for Al Libi's drone death back in June.  Apparently there may be more to the story.

Jaron

We should just destroy Libya.  :wacko: This is becoming very tedious.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

mongers

Just watching the BBC World coverage and the anchor is having kittens because the female reporter in Washington is saying US marines are going to Libya, he says "that would be something, US boots on the ground in Libya" 

Hilarious, not understanding that it's common practice to have Marines guard US embassies. 

Seriously a lot of you guys on Languish could do much better, more balanced and informed job than these media types.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 12, 2012, 08:01:17 PM
And the current view is that this looks like a planned attack that used the protest as cover.

Ya know, the more that comes out about this the sillier Mitt Romney is made to look. Trying to score political points in the midst of a life-and-death event involving American citizens on the anniversary of 9/11 is something I thought I'd never see from a serious presidential candidate.  I am actually embarrassed that I at one point contemplated voting for him.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jaron on September 12, 2012, 08:18:17 PM

Nonsense;  always a few fleas in the fur.  Libyans are overwhelmingly pro-American.  There's a lot more to this than is out there in open source at the moment.

Now Egypt, on the other hand...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 12, 2012, 08:21:22 PM
Ya know, the more that comes out about this the sillier Mitt Romney is made to look. Trying to score political points in the midst of a life-and-death event involving American citizens on the anniversary of 9/11 is something I thought I'd never see from a serious presidential candidate.  I am actually embarrassed that I at one point contemplated voting for him.

Unfortunately, when it comes to foreign policy, he and his people running his campaign continually prove he isn't a serious presidential candidate.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 08:23:21 PM
Quote from: Jaron on September 12, 2012, 08:18:17 PM

Nonsense;  always a few fleas in the fur.  Libyans are overwhelmingly pro-American.  There's a lot more to this than is out there in open source at the moment.

Now Egypt, on the other hand...

Morsi needs a dead pig on his desk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 08:25:46 PM

Unfortunately, when it comes to foreign policy, he and his people running his campaign continually prove he isn't a serious presidential candidate.

I'm one of the three people in the country where foreign policy is my sole salient issue. Mitt Romney is dead to me now.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 12, 2012, 08:29:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2012, 08:25:46 PM

I'm one of the three people in the country where foreign policy is my sole salient issue. Mitt Romney is dead to me now.

Who are the other two guys?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

FunkMonk

And the UPS guy I knew when I lived in Illinois

Ed Anger

I'll be Chevy Chase, you'll be Martin Short and ups guy Steve Martin.

Neil

This is just a distraction.  Nuking the Chinese coastline is still what's most important.  Sure, Islam is incompatible with civilization, but that's why they're not a real threat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.