Honduras to allow privately run cities

Started by jimmy olsen, September 10, 2012, 03:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

If you google Michael Strong and MKG Group you get... nothing.  There is an MKG Group but clearly different from this one.

I remember reading about efforts to establish "free cities" in central america in the past.  They were spearheaded by libertarian / Randian / Austrian economics types.  I suspect this is the same.  Marty is right though - $15 mil doesn't get you anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

:hmm:  I think I have a solution for our Ron Paul problem.

The Larch

The 15 million $ are quoted for "basic infrastructure" at one of the future cities, so I guess that means lots of pipes, cables and power lines. Maybe at Honduran rates that gets you plenty of manpower and stuff.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on September 10, 2012, 10:37:02 AM
The 15 million $ are quoted for "basic infrastructure" at one of the future cities, so I guess that means lots of pipes, cables and power lines. Maybe at Honduran rates that gets you plenty of manpower and stuff.

That's still a miniscule amount, if you consider a budget for your average public works project.

If they were talking billions, not millions, it would be closer to the mark.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2012, 08:25:08 AM
How much latitude do they have with setting their own laws?  Can a powerful CEO have his workers that demand higher wages euthanized, if the city-state's laws allow that?

Yeah, I find this bizarre for this very reason. In fact, any deprivation of life, liberty or health should be banned - but then the laws would really have no teeth.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on September 10, 2012, 10:37:02 AM

A quick search revealed that when Honduras unveiled a large bus station that could service most destinations in the country it cost 16 million USD. 
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

It's enough to pave a few km and build a couple empty warehouses.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Apparently in Honduras they have like 50% unemployment and 65% of the population in poverty, maybe they're establishing some kind of slave work provision into this deal.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Monoriu

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Viking on September 10, 2012, 06:07:39 AMIf it works, great, we know more than we did before and the human test subjects are happier. If it fails, oh well, we know more than we did before and the human test subjects are bankrupt and amply demonstrate the credulity of individual humans.

The only thing we're going to learn from it is how long it takes before the Honduran government changes their mind and re-annexes them. The faster they grow the sooner it will be.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

██████
██████
██████